Thread: Transmission Problem

Transmission Problem

My 67S, has developed a problem and not sure what it is. Last week, she locked up in reverse, and I was able to dislodge through some rocking. When I started up again, I was able to drive off OK, but a soft clonk, clonk noise, is now eminating from the trans. It is most noticable in neutral when coasting.(no motor noise. ) She shifts fine, and that includes reverse. I first thought it might be a CV joint, and took them off and checked, and they seemed OK. I got under the car and had my wife spin the rear wheels and I can hear the noise emanating, from the front part of the tranny.Can I still drive the car with no problems and Is this a major tran problem? Any advice appreciated; Thanks; Peter Aziz

I would have this one looked at - recommend removing the front cover to the transaxle to inspect for play / wear. You never know - it might be a simple fix - like maybe the big nut on the end of the pinion (layshaft?) shaft came loose. Then again, it may be the selector fork (reverse) wearing out or needing adjusting.
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

Thanks for the reply Rob; ; The only other reply I received was from Pelican parts technical desk, and they advised me as well to stop driving, pull, and take apart the tranny and and have a look inside; Looks like thats the only alternative;

You're welcome Peter.
    Yes, I believe you should take it apart before some very major damage occurs or you get stuck on the road somewhere. I've never had a Porsche 901/911/915 box completely apart, but I have had Hewland racing boxes apart many times, and they are very similar. Check the reverse selector fork adjustment after making sure the pinion shaft nut is tight.
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914