Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Tank Level - Help please

Oil Tank Level - Help please

Hi, I'd appreciate some help with my oil tank level gauge. It doesn't work.

When you turn the switch, the needle jumps to the max, and stays there. I have checked that the wires are all there, and that current flows from one end to the other, the ground is also fine, so that rules out a wiring problem.

What I can't figure out is if the broken part is the sending unit or the gauge itself, though the rest of the gauge works fine (Gas level, etc).

What kind of current does the sending unit send? Can I send something to the gauge to see if it works?, maybe plug the fuel wire on the oil gauge?

Thanks, it's driving me nuts.
    Henry

probably a bad sender; they are resistive

I don't understand the part about the current coming out OK.

Thanks

I don't understand the part about the current coming out OK
    What I mean, is that the wire is OK, it's not cut or anything halfway. I put a battery on one end and a light the other and, and the light goes on.

I hope your'e right, I'm better off changing a sender, though it will set me back over $100, than repairing or changing the gauge.
    Henry

Buy the sender on Pelican - it is a lot less than $100. Ifyou look around a long time you can prob. beat that price.

You could perhaps do a continuity check thru the gauge. But the common failure is the sender.

I'm assuming you already cleaned the contact tabs.

Thanks Randy, I will probably go ahead and order the sender, since I also need a bunch of smaller stuff.
    Henry

Seems to me I had the same symptom when the ground wire fell off the back of the gauge. I could be wrong. But,if you have the opportunity, you could check the continuity of the ground wire. Can't hurt.

oil level sender, BEWARE

speaking of bad oil level sender, If yours starts acting funny, I would warn
    you to get a new one right away. On mine, the float broke in half and the
    piece that broke is a little bit bigger than the oil feeding line that goes to the engine, Guess what, the damn thing obstruct the oil line and thus my engine loss all oil pressure. 2 minutes of that was enough to make lots
    of damage to my engine. So be aware.
    $10 k poorer !!!

If yours starts acting funny, I would warn
    you to get a new one right away.
    Sounds like good advice, much cheaper to buy a new sender.

Thanks
    Henry

oil gauge

hi,

im relatively new and want some clarification on the oil gauge.

When i first start my car, where should the oil gauge be at idle?
    should the needle be at the high market ?

When I press on the gas, the oil gauge will go lower

I could use some help on how to read this correctly

thanks guys

oil level

the oil level guage should read on the high side when at idle speed ( 800 rpm )

When you depressed the gas pedal, the oil travels to the engine thus making the reading lower on your guage, ( below 1/4 level i would say ).

but the best reading will come from the stick in the oil tank. Read it carefully at idle with a warm engine and keep your level on the half way between min and max.

regards Francois