Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kermit is coming together

Kermit is coming together

Just wanted to show you that Mike is in the "final" stages of getting Kermit together. The car is fully color sanded. It is being assembled, as you can see. Plus this gave me a chance to play with a multiple picture assembly.

Soon I will get it, but not soon enough. I should get it in enough time to . . . . . how you say . . . . "put it to bed for zee winter" (spoken with a French accent)

:edit: And yes, oh yes, those bumper guards are really ugly. But that is the way the car came in 1973. Maybe that is one reason to go with a '72 instead. The bumper guards are better looking!

larry
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

I think...

"Miss Piggy" may be getting a bit damp!

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Lookin' good! The paint looks REALLY good. Hang in baybe, your seat time is coming...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    I know you're going for an absolutely stock look but I'd challenge convention and lose those front bumper guards if it won't damage the new paint. They were not one of Porsche's finest design moments.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Ohhhhh, I don't knooooooww

Quote Originally Posted by SandyI
    I'd challenge convention and lose those front bumper guards.
    Sandy:

I kind of feel the same way, now that I am looking at it. I have to say honestly that I never really looked at the '73 bumper guards when I thought about it at the beginning of the whole ordeal. In my newbie-ness I didn't really understand the difference between the majority of the ones that I saw and the '73's. I am sure that I was looking at the '72 and earlier.

Mike (my wrench) says that he kind of likes them, because they are unique to that year, and an indication that this is a "real" '73 - Honestly, why would anyone else put them on their car?

I was going for original, and now am having second thoughts on this issue. Mike said that to take them off, he would have to weld the holes on the bumper closed, and then repaint. Possibly just spot repaint and blend in, and then replace the rub strip at the front. 4 hours of work. another couple of hundred dollars.

Does anyone have pictures of other '73's with the bumper guards in place? I would like to see some others. I really don't remember seeing (m)any. I am now in a quandry again, and need to make a decision soon.

thanks

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Quote Originally Posted by larry47us
    Mike said that to take them off, he would have to weld the holes on the bumper closed, and then repaint. Possibly just spot repaint and blend in, and then replace the rub strip at the front. 4 hours of work. another couple of hundred dollars.
    You don't have to go bumperless. I always thought that the '73 used the same mounting holes as the earlier years. If so, you could just mount the earlier bumpers in the same holes, which would seem like a good compromise between originality and function. I'm not sure about this, but I am sure that someone who has done this will chime in.

Leave them...

Larry, time to....finish your car....leave them!
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

I had a 73 about 20 years ago and they never really bothered me too much. These days, I'd probably 'delete' them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Not even a question here Larry.... go bumperless!
    Tom
    Early 911S Reg #544

Quote Originally Posted by 69Sman
    Larry, time to....finish your car....leave them!
    I agree. You've got all winter to worry this. Let Mike move ahead. You won't have anything to do if you get it perfect the first time.