Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To Correctly Restore or Sort of

To Correctly Restore or Sort of

Basically the gist is that I have a 1971 911s that is in absolutely fabulous shape with no engine or transmission. (Got it that way) Should I try to find a real 2.2S Engine that comes close to matching numbers on my Kardex or should I put say a 3.0 engine in or some thing like that. Obviously the 2.2S would be harder to come by and they were never really that great of an engine in the first place. But it would of course make the car more original. I do not intend to show the car but just enjoy driving it etc. Of course I would like to do what would still make the car most valuable if the differential between putting in the 2.2S and the 3.0 was worth while.

Any thoughts or input is appreciated.
    Thanks
    David

It's worth the most (by far) if fully restored. The best path would be to source the original motor, wherever it's gone to. But an S motor from the correct year would still keep its value up close to 'S' levels.

Outside of that, it's worth about as much as a T tub with an unoriginal motor in it. Aside from the alloy brakes (which were not all that remarkable), the magic of an S was largely all in the engine bay.

So if value is your primary goal, the S motor is the way to go.

Tough question for me to answer, but I think you might get just a little difference in opinion about your comment that the 2.2S engine was 'never really that good of an engine' from a few board members here including myself. Ever drive one?

Others will have a better idea than me about the value issue, but since the numbers will not match you might as well put in whatever makes you happy.

All the best,
    Tom
    Early 911S Reg #544

Tom's right, some consider the 2.2S the best S motor ever.

Quote Originally Posted by charlestonius
    Obviously the 2.2S would be harder to come by and they were never really that great of an engine in the first place.
    Any thoughts or input is appreciated.
    Thanks
    David
    Ouch....that really hurts Nah, they just had the highest HP rating ever in a 911 until the Turbo came out in the late 70s

Back to the subject.....If you can find the 2.2, great! If not and you plan on keeping the car for a while anyway throw a 3.2 or 3.6 in there and have fun while looking for thecorrect 2.2. Then save the 2.2 for when you sell it
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

The car would get a lot of attention with a 2.7RS Spec motor. If everything else on the car is sorted out it could bring mid to high 20's? There were three RS Spec motors for sale at GAF. 8k, 12k & 16k. What shape is the gearbox in?

R Gruppe #259

oops... missed the part on the gearbox... what kind of budget are you working with???

R Gruppe #259

I'm can't explain why I feel compelled to weigh in on these things, but here's another $.02: In my opinion, originality value is really only associated with the matching number motor. Getting close doesn't add enough value (intrinsic or monetary) to have anything other than the motor you really want.

I agree that the 2.2S was one of the greatest ever, this being one of the reasons original 70 and 71 Ss have such an appeal for me. Having said that, however, if I couldn't have the one matching motor, I'd go for some horsepower. I'd build a mag case or early aluminum case motor - you can get plenty of HP, and I think the later motors are too out-of-character for an early car. Come to think of it, I'd probably build a 2.5 MFI hot rod that is period correct...

Wink

Gotta agree with the other guys who defend the 2.2S engine. Mine was great and had a great feel at redline that you do not find with the 2.4S motors because the compression dropped from 9:8:1 with the 2.2S to only 8.5:1 on the 2.4S. The 2.0S has a similar feel at redline because it also had the 9.8:1 compression ratio, but the extra displacement of the 2.2S offers a little extra jolt. My advice also: look for a good 2.2S. They occasionally pop-up for south of $5k. In the meantime, see if you can find a cheap deal on a T engine and 901 gearbox so you have something to drive while you look for the right engine. You can alwys re-sell the T engine for around what you paid for it when you score 2.2S. With early S prices escalating, there will still be market for your car with guys looking to pay a little less for the real thing with or without the provenance. How would I know. I'm one of them...

This was a lot of good input thanks. I can get a 2.2S complete with MFI for ~5500.00. Has paperwork to verify recent substantial full rebuild. I know I would probably spend at least that if I rebuilt one myself. I was not ragging on the 2.2S engine per say just that I run a short stroke 3.2 in my race car and never had a lot of luck with the 6 bolt cranks holding up under those conditions.( Had one in a 76-77 930 case which I am selling if anyone is interested) I am sure the 2.2S will be fine for the street. As far as a transmission I have a 901 of unknown condition which I could use as a core for a rebuild.

Cheers
    David