Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings! And a few questions to start.

Greetings! And a few questions to start.

Hello Members,

I am new to the 911 bulletin boards and am amazed at body of knowledge and support that exists on this site. I rescued my 1970 911S Targa about 4 years ago from being sold for parts. It still amazes me that my car was nearly lost. I have recently dived into taking the car apart and restoring every thing that I can. Although I have been able to gather most of the information that I need from traditional sources there are a few things that I cannot confirm what is correct for the car. I hope that you members don’t mind me unleashing upon you many questions about the fine details of my car so that I can restore it as authentically as possible.

1. Colour of Trunk and engine compartment: Satin Black or Body color on a 1970?
    2. Plating on Gear shift lever: Nickel or Chrome?

These are the ones that are stopping me from progressing this weekend.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Bob:
    I have a 72S and my gear shift is chrome. I do not think anything was nickel in a 911. My trunk and engine lid were painted body color on the underside.
    Bill Cilker, Jr.
    Gold 72 911S
    31 Ford Model A
    PCA, Early S Registry (#98) & RGruppe (#272)
    Rotarian

Thanks Bill,

There is are two cars locally that are completely original.
    A 69E has black in areas questioned.
    A 72S has body colour in these areas.

Looking at my 1970 owners manual that came with the car the areas are black too. I suspect that the pictures are from an older car however.

I believe that there was a transition from black to body colour but I cannot determine when that was. Can anyone confirm my observation?

Also the local plater claims that the shift lever is a single layer nickel plate rather then a multi layer chrome. I wonder if this was to control the tolerances better. Something to do with that little tolerance ring that holds the shift knob on perhaps?
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

This question on "black or body color and where exactly for 1970" came up last month. I posted a couple of pages from the 1970 supplemental body manual in this thread -

http://d240157.u39.zeonhost.com/foru...ead.php?t=4130

The short answer is the trunk and engine compartment got the same PVC spray as the underbody, so were black. There was a change to body color in later years.

Interesting comment from the plater, I thought mine was chrome that had just dulled with time but you may be right. I got tired of the original knob coming off in my hand while shifting, even with new crush sleeves it still would twist around. So when I installed a short shift kit with better reverse lockout and Swepco fluid to improve the dogleg box, I made a new shifter with a bit more 'kink' in it along with a tall Momo shift knob so I didn't have to lean up in the seat to go into 4th anymore. That one is black, which I think looks better than chome in the car, unless you're a stickler for originality.
    John Gray

70 old air
    86 middle air
    95 new air

My 71: Underside of both hoods in body color. Engine bay, black. And front trunk, body color (not very good coverage either, which seems to be the norm).

I can tell you that...

my original 1970 911T has a chrome shift lever. Body color in the trunk (in my case this is conda green) and satin black in the engine compartment.

There are some spots in the engine bay where the green is becoming visible...it is a 35 year old car, and, I have had the engine pulled a few times.

Welcome and good luck. see my car here

Hey Bill. I was happy to see you again, in Ventura....Barbara says hello to you and Liz.

I guess I still look stupid. Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Thanks for the replies so far....

John, I am envious of you wheel wells.

For those who have any interest in this topic would you agree with this conclusion?..... According to John’s attachment. The underbody, engine bay and luggage compartment all have the same PVC coating. Looking at my "A love story" sales brochure they applied this coating after painting the body. Therefore all the areas in question should be black, unless they resprayed areas again later.

It seems like there are 1970 cars have black engine bays and undersides. The colours of luggage compartments and interior floor pans are not so well defined. My car is a very early 1970 so I wonder if this is way I am confused.

I hope to bring a more interesting topic to this board soon.

FYI, I hope they are black so I can do them myself.

Regards,

Bob
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

How early?

My 70S is #735, 1/1/70. Body color trunk (silver). Engine bay is black over silver (coming through like Shawn's) and looks like the silver was over the undercoating. Three seperate processes which to me explains why they went to body color in the engine bay on the later cars. My floor pan is black as well and I think is over silver but, not positive.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

My 70E #0634 has black trunk and engine compartments
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

My 71 has original body color under the trunk with that black goo sprayed over it. What a pain in the a$$ removing that crap to do any repairs.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330