Page 60 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Me Your Vintage P Dealer Plate Frames.

Quote Originally Posted by NTW View Post
    . . . Johnson Bozzani Phoenix . . .
    Another thread --- + w/better pics, too () . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...se-plate-frame

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . . Hey, NTW . . .

Can you post some good/clear pics of that frame here? --- or on this other thread? . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...r-Plate-Frames.

Might be a while before another turns up, so . . .

Finally! . . .

. . . and can ya make it a little smaller?

We Can Be Heroes

My '95 Carrera.

Name:  IMG_2766 (1280x856).jpg
Views: 633
Size:  124.5 KB
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Robertson . . .

. . . from the Fall '72 PDL . . .

Robertson Porsche Audi, Inc
    420 North Rampart St
    New Orleans, LA

Un-painted/flash-chromed frame + lettering, with semi-gloss black-washed phonographed letter boxes; no Makers' name/ID; plate = std LA pass-iss, etc; 'B' = New Orleans police troop area

Wow --- where to start . . .

1st thing, genuine OG frame + plate from a 914 sold there new in '73, tucked-away + kept ever-since as a 'keep-sake' = excellent condition. Interesting, too, are the presence of an 'old-style' Porsche crest w/ the more-modern-style Audi rings. But most interesting of all is the metalized 'Pan-Am' sticker that was taped over the the top-rocker . . .

'. . . I purchased the car in August 1973 from Pan-Am Porsche-Audi of New Orleans. The dealership had recently changed hands when a local physician (a Porsche loyalist) purchased it from Willard Robertson. Robertson bought the place back within a couple of years, presumably after realizing that it was actually possible to make it a going concern. He then renamed it "River Road Porsche-Audi" . . .'

Never seen/heard/read anything like that before

A parking lot 's there, today

Attached Images Attached Images        

We Can Be Heroes

Gabriel & Olsen . . .

. . . from the '70 thru '72 PDLs . . .

Gabriel & Olsen Porsche Audi, Inc
    15531 Ventura Blvd
    Encino, CA

Matte blue lettering in cream-colored + phonographed letter-boxes, w/ delicately incised lower corners, flash-chromed, no Makers' marks or ID --- that's right = NOT RWB&Co; plate = std CA pass, etc, etc

Imagine. A German sports car dealer owned by not one but two famous football players --- Roman Gabriel and Merlin Olsen . . . and at the height of their playing careers, too. Love to hear that story some time. Anyway, going by the dealership's presence in the PDLs, seems the the pair parted ways ~'73. Mr Olsen carried on --- + for quite some time . . . see p17, post #161

Mr Gabriel was selling real estate when I last lived in South (Orange) County, ten years back. Mr Olsen has since passed-away

Big-a$$ office complex occupies the location now

Attached Images Attached Images           

We Can Be Heroes

Vintage Kodachrome – University Porsche Audi…

. . . from the '70 thru '72 PDLs . . .

Gabriel & Olsen Porsche Audi, Inc
    15531 Ventura Blvd
    Encino, CA

Matte blue lettering in cream-colored + phonographed letter-boxes, w/ delicately incised lower corners, flash-chromed, no Makers' marks or ID --- that's right = NOT RWB&Co; plate = std CA pass, etc, etc

Imagine. A German sports car dealer owned by not one but two famous football players --- Roman Gabriel and Merlin Olsen . . . and at the height of their playing careers, too. Love to hear that story some time. Anyway, going by the dealership's presence in the PDLs, seems the the pair parted ways ~'73. Mr Olsen carried on --- + for quite some time . . . see p17, post #161

Mr Gabriel was selling real estate when I last lived in South (Orange) County, ten years back. Mr Olsen has since passed-away

Big-a$$ office complex occupies the location now

Hey Longranger, been looking for this plate for some time.
    My 70 911E was sold there and would love to put it on the back.
    Is this available for sale?

Thanks,
    Bud
    70E Albert Blue
    Member #1906

Vasek Polak (Porsche Audi from '70)
    Originally (from '59) . . .
    356 South Sepulveda Blvd
    Manhattan Beach, CA

Moved sometime between '64 and '67 to . . .
    199 Pacific Coast Hwy
    Hermosa Beach, CA

Another really famous Dealer. Mechanically-gifted Czech ex-pat --- came over as a refugee, basically . . . got into Porsches early, made his bones running/tuning Carreras, scraped enough together to open the first Porsche-only US dealership in '59, yadda, yadda, yadda . . . .

WAY more, here . . .
    http://www.vpracing.com/index.html

1) Hermosa Beach w/Porsche crest . . . unidentified + unknown

2) P + A branded . . . from '70-on
    Came across this (very) Old Picture, but this frame is really interesting for having the early '70s Porsche | AUDI branding --- totally unlike the 'crested' ones usually offered/floating around . . . and all the more interesting since the car it's mounted on has a proper early '70-issue CA pass blue-plate to go with

3) Manhattan Beach w/crest . . . repro?

4) Hermosa Beach --- front frame . . . Real Deal early '60s, restored?

5) Hermosa Beach --- rear . . . Real Deal + OG
    Kudos to this great thread and thanks to LongRanger for the detailed photos...IMO the best on the web for Porsche plate frames.

For some unusual reason, there are very, very few period-photos of Vasek Polak plate frames actually mounted on Porsches. Here’s an original 4 x 5 inch, B & W print that depicts your version #2, Porsche-Audi plate frame with a colored-plate insert w/ Vasek Polak Hermosa Beach text. Since the photo is B & W, I’m not sure if the plate insert was yellow or green (I believe both were made - two color versions posted here as examples). Any thoughts to the color used on this Porsche in this B & W photo? Were both green and yellow period-correct for this 1970s Porsche Audi plate frame? I believe the Porsche Audi metal frame was made up until 1974 or 1975 when it was replaced by a black plastic Vasek Polak Porsche Audi frame and then updated versions in the 1980s and 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by cjtbt View Post
    . . . been looking for this plate for some time.
    My 70 911E was sold there and would love to put it on the back . . .
    Tell me about it! Been looking for one o' these for years 'till this finally turned-up. They're not even that rare!

Trick is? . . . finding/getting someone to part w/ one

Quote Originally Posted by cjtbt View Post
    . . . this available for sale? . . .
    Sorry, Bud --- not yet . . .

. . . BUT --- if I ever come across another . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by idart View Post
    . . . Kudos to this great thread and thanks to LongRanger for the detailed photos...IMO the best on the web for Porsche plate frames . . .
    Thanks, i! I have a lotta fun putting up these posts

I kinda stumbled into the whole 'collecting' thing --- after having seen/noticed some of the frames that would turn-up on cars @all the various shows that I was going to. Dealer frames are something uniquely American, and a pretty subtle detail that --- for me, anyway . . . adds a special little 'period' touch --- especially when its from a Dealer/place that I've never heard of. Anyway, when I started looking for these, the first thing I noticed was that there weren't any decent references --- let alone picture/descriptions . . . of these frames, or even who these Dealers were, + where/when they did business. But --- once I found out about the PDLs . . . I was fascinated by all the places and names where Our Cars were sold. Been collecting 'em, ever/since

Now? --- I post whatever I find --- including a coupla my 'donkeys' . . . so anybody who goes out looking for these knows at least as much as I do

. . . very, very few period-photos of Vasek Polak plate frames actually mounted on Porsches . . . Since the photo is B & W, I’m not sure if the plate insert was yellow or green (I believe both were made - two color versions posted here as examples). Any thoughts to the color used on this Porsche in this B & W photo? . . .
    Sorry, i --- I have no idea. I've come across a few Dealer 'inserts' over the years, but, without some kinda period photos or descriptions to reference, I've never been sure what these would've looked like --- or when they were used

Have enough trouble just ID'g some o' these pesky frames!

. . . I believe the Porsche Audi metal frame was made up until 1974 or 1975 when it was replaced by a black plastic Vasek Polak Porsche Audi frame and then updated versions in the 1980s and 1990s . . .
    I mostly/only collect stuff that I believe would've been used on Longhoods --- <~'73 . . . so/again, I have no idea

I will say though that I've been told by Jay the Frame Guy that Robert W Brown &Co was in business 'till ~'79. Whether or not they were supplying VP (or anyone) w/ their products --- and when . . . is a interesting question

One of the things that I've noticed is that there are some features that turn up on all of these early-'70s frames --- bars, dashes, pluses, shields, rings, etc . . . but? . . .

. . . not consistently --- especially after 1970

VP is --- IMO . . . especially variable = problematic. Not only was this dealership in business for decades --- before + after 1970 (so there have been literally thousands of these circulated over the years), but there have also been multiple/multiple versions produced . . . and --- IMO . . . not all by VP (or 'in-period'). We're fortunate that the 700-mile 911S has its original VP frame --- to show what's what . . . at least for 1970. For how long that specific style was used? . . . no idea

And as to when frames were switched from metal to plastic construction? . . . again --- no idea

We Can Be Heroes