Thread: Here's a Door Question

Here's a Door Question

So, last week I got pictures of Kermit in mid assembly. I am looking at the picture of the interior today, and I think to myself - - "Hey, isn't that a speaker hole on the right side of the door?"

I don't know anything about these cars - as I have been so obviously displaying this past year - is this the way that '73 doors look before the door panels are put on? Did Porsche put holes in the doors so that if the "stereo radio" option was installed, that there was a place the dealer could easily install the speaker?

Inquiring minds need to know.

larry
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

If it's any help, my 72 doors look exactly the same as these. This I can guarantee because I've been driving around without door panels for two months now! I'm no authority on the stereo option, but they do look like speaker holes to me, and it does seems strange to put the speakers behind the front map pockets.
    Leaf green 72T, SOLD!
    Gone back to my MoPar roots!

'71 doors on 2 cars I have had apart were with holes.

That looks correct to me, and its far better to put the speakers behind the front pockets than through them. If you look at the back of the door you will see the depression that was cut out for the RS lightweight latch pull strap
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Thanks guys, feel better already!!!

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Larry,

Those round holes are where my speakers are. One of the PO's decided to drill holes the map pocket and put a metal grill to let the sound out as well. Grrrr......
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

I have seen a 1972 car that had speakers in this location and the fixed pockets had holes that looked as if done at the factory, much like the dash speaker grill. An option perhaps?

I had some good 5.5" in speakers in those holes with the pockets. The sound was certainly not the best but adequate. If too loud the pockets will vibrate and distort the sound. I doubt putting holes in then would help very much. The pockets are not very acoustically transparent even with the holes.

As you know the pockets are ridiculously expensive so I would hesitate to put holes in them.

Now that I am restoring my car the engine sound is all I am really interested in. Perhaps a little mono if I ever can find a radio...... Anyone?

Bob
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sithot
    Speaker holes.

Tom
    I'm not positive about this, Tom...could they be access holes for installing power window lifts? Anyway Larry...I say leave 'em open...you might want to stick a tool through there sometime.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)