Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide what to do with my new bastardized 69 S -

Help me decide what to do with my new bastardized 69 S -

O.K. Guys - below are some pictures of my new 69S. This car received the RS treatment and a bare metal respray in the non-original color of red about 2 years ago. The paint looks good, but I would have preferred the original silver. Unfortunately, the painter took off the chassis plate and paint plate in the respray and they were not put back on. The car is purported to be a numbers matching car (the numbers are correct for a 69S but I do not have a Kardex). The car has RS flares and glass RS front and rear bumpers. Everything but the essentials were stripped - including the 30 pounds or so of interior floor sound deadening goop. They even went so far as to powedercoat all of the exterior trim, other than the headlight rings, black. Too bad it didn't get an RS motor! The car in its current state is basically a streetable DE car. I bought this car as a driver and would like to restore it a bit. Given the changes already made, this will never be a concours car.

So here are my plans - open for critique:

1. Replace RS front bumper with later style S bumper. I think this will look better with the rear flares than the actual correct 69 bumper would. I need to decide between glass or metal.

2. Replace interior seats with BF-Torino seats from GTS Classics (these have already been ordered), remove harness bar and harnesses, and install 3 point belts.

3. Replace Momo Prototipo steering wheel with period correct wheel. The steering wheel is another interesting RS detail as I do not think you can get Prototipos like this one anymore (without the holes in the spokes).

4. Replace drivers door mirror with the correct durant style mirror.

5. Replace late style RS/Carrera tail with either a ducktail or a standard lid. Nor sure which???

6. Drop engine and transmission to take a look, fix a transmission leak, clean and detail the engine a bit, and replace the sound pad. The engine and tranny were supposedly rebuilt during the respray 2 years ago but the paperwork is lacking - I am trying to track it down. The engine runs good and the transmission is very smooth. The only thing of note is the fuel pump is quite nosiy on cold start and can be heard a bit even when the car is warm.

7. Perhaps swap the chrome trim from my 71 track car with the black trim on the red car - not sure (my wife would like me to do this).

So - fire away. All opinions, suggestions, advice, etc is welcome. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Bill

1969 911S - slightly bastardized

By the way, what has Porsche been doing for the last 30 years?

the last few pictures -
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Bill

Gburner
    Imho it looks like fun as is,
    all it needs is a gasoline credit card and a DE tech sticker.

No doubt this car would be fun on the track - it is actually begging to go. But, the last picture shows our track car, which with 225 RWHP makes the red car feel very slow.
    Bill

I too would have prefered the original silver and the stock look. I love the brightwork on early cars but I must say this car looks right. It looks like it belongs on the track which is kinda where an S car belongs when you think about it.

I also like the spokeless Prototipo which I think is period correct.

P.S. I think I would replace those door panels though.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

What size fuchs are those? 15’s or 16’s?
    I would get them refinished w/ either polished or anodized petals. Swap out the black trim & use either a ducktail, or no tail.

The doors panels are not the best looking RS type panels I have seen, but they are in the best condition of anything in the interior

The wheels are 16 inch 7s & 8s. I forgot to mention that I do want to refinish them with anodized pedals.

The latest from my wife (who is faster on the track than me) is that she would like an original front bumper as seen on this eBay car: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true

I think that would look o.k. - kind of ST looking with the flares. No sure how that would look with a duck tail.

The RS spoiler was pretty beat up in the front by the shipping company. The gel goat is cracked on both sides of the oil cooler panel. I am filing an insurance claim with them for this, but may take the time to change to a less fragile bumper as this will be a street car.
    Bill

Remember that if you run a ducktail you’ll need some type of front spoiler or risk a handling imbalance at speed!

Those Fuchs look like 7 x 15 front and back. I would go for the ST look, ditch the front RS bumper and ducktail for stock parts, fit 6" Fuchs at the front and keep the interior (apart from the door card of course).
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by nick-moss
    Those Fuchs look like 7 x 15 front and back. I would go for the ST look, ditch the front RS bumper and ducktail for stock parts, fit 6" Fuchs at the front and keep the interior (apart from the door card of course).
    Hey Nick - they are 7x8 16s - confirmed by crawling under the car and reading part numbers. With the flares in back, the 8s do not look as big.

I am kind of thinking of doing the ST look - standard 69S bumper in front and and a flat deck lid in back.
    Bill