Thread: Seat Police, please help.... RS Seats?

Question Seat Police, please help.... RS Seats?

I found these recently listed on Ebay and they are described as "authentic" and from an RS. I have looked through countless magazine articles and books and never seen these seats in any 73 RS or any P car. They do look period correct and even if they were never a factory option. I think they look pretty cool.

I was looking to get the "vintage seats" RS style seat until I was at German Autofest and saw every other RS clone with these same seats, I thought I would go for something period correct, and maybe more authentic. I read in the 911 guide to authenticity that that style Recaro seat that Vintage Seats reproduces, (They do look beautiful by the way) was an option up until 68 or 69. So they then would not be period correct for an RS. Am I right? The only seats I have ever seen in a 73 RS are the sport seat also made by recaro but they appear very robust and were trimmed in corduroy, or the other seat makes (starts with a P) as used in the lightweight, but they are somewhat boring to me, just not the visual draw that the Recaro's are?

can someone clarify this and tell me anything they may know about this type of seat. It has a race style non trimmed back and it seems unique as it tilts as well. I imagine these seats were an off the line Recaro after-market item as that would explain the funky trim material (although Porsche did have that funky checker board design too). Are these simply an off the shelf recaro after-market seat as available in the 70's such as today's "pole position" seats which you can get just about anywhere?

any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

Here is a link to the Seats

Ebay Seats

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

The seats in the eBay are Recaros as fitted to mant European sports saloons in the late seventies, they were never fitted to Porsches
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

this is what recaro called "Rallye Standard " listed on there site as being made from 71 to 79 to my knowledge this style seat was never offered by Porsche, there are many seats that Recaro made that were sold on the aftermarket for use in all types of sports cars, I also took a good long look at these seats and wouldn't have minded picking them up (but I've spent way to much on seats this month already ) as you don't see many of these around and a pair in as nice a shape as these looked, were certinly worth what they went for

standard RS seating is pretty much sport seats,buckets or thumbscrew buckets

as for the fabric, if you were willing to pay, porsche would do just about anything a customer wanted, these cars were hand built and colors,fabrics,mirrors,seats,fenders just to name a few were things that Porsche was more then willing to customize for an up-charge

Recaro web site = http://www.recaro-nao.com/index_frames.html

go to company then click on product gallery then click on car seats 1970 to 1979 then click on rallye,it's the first seat

I don't know who bought these but I think they would look good in any 911, it's nice to see something different for a change.
    Sam

Self anointed Head of the SSSP
    ( Super secret seat police )
    our motto is : if you've got a bug up your ass, we put it there

67S polo red 307958S (gone but not forgotten )
    87 factory turbolook Lagoon green metallic ( G50 O'yeah )