Thread: Hydropneumatic struts???

Scope Creep Poster Child

Hydropneumatic struts???

Can someone help me confirm my fear that I have unwittingly purchased Hydropneumatic "E" struts? Part #s stamped on each strut read 901-341-084-00 and 901-341-083-00. They are larger in diameter than the struts on my car (retrofited with conventional), and the inserts are retained by a threaded ring, with no flats or notches, that is on the outside of the strut tube. These were advertised as being from a '69S. I purchased them (Ebay) because they have 3.5" caliper bolt spacing. I didn't think that any Es had S calipers, but apparently some did. The other posibility is that you could get an S with Hydropneumatic struts.

What should I do with these things? Dumpster fodder? Are they of any use to anyone?

Thanks,
    -Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Scope Creep Poster Child
    OK- Let's make this more interesting. Has anyone driven an E with its original struts? What are they like? I just had this perverse idea that I should use these things (assuming they are what I think they are). I seem to remember that Porsche used these struts on some race cars in certain events. How bad could they be? They would need to be reconditioned- no small task, I'm sure.
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Scott - those part numbers are for the hydropneumatic self-levelling struts used as part of the 'comfort' option along with 14" Fuchs & 80 series 'high profile' tyres.

They were available as an option on the '69 S.

Personally I wouldn't install them - many (most?) cars that had them fitted originally have been converted to conventional struts & torsion bars & I don't think that many (if any) parts are available to overhaul them.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Thanks, Andy. I wonder how many S's were optioned with these struts? I would think that it would be a very small number. As for using them, I was thinking of it as an esoteric project, and realize that it would be difficult. I just wonder how these things actually worked when they were working. Does anyone know of a running car equiped with them?
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Scott - my 69S had the hyrdropneumatic strut option. They were long ago replaced with torsion bars and new struts.
    Bill

1969 911S - slightly bastardized

By the way, what has Porsche been doing for the last 30 years?

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Bill-
    My struts are probably from your car! How did they work? Was your car equiped with a sway bar?
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

My 70S had the dreaded "comfort Pkg". The PO had the sense to correct that.

No front sway with the hydros.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Scott - same story as 70SATMan - they were replaced by the prior owner when he wanted to do some track driving. The front sway bar looks factory to me. It seems that these were all replaced for a reason. Unless you are looking ot win a concours preservation class I see no reason to go back to these.
    Bill

1969 911S - slightly bastardized

By the way, what has Porsche been doing for the last 30 years?

Scott - Do you still have your hydropneumatic struts 901-341-084-00 and 901-341-083-00 even if it is very long ago?

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    69 Service Information has this and more explanation on Hydro setup. G. Couldn’t be less interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images