Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Annual RGruppe Palm Springs weekend

Thumbs up Annual RGruppe Palm Springs weekend

It's that time again fellow 'gruppsters....

Mark your calanders for Nov 20 & 21 for an RGRuppe run out to our Hosts Dave & Sheila's wonderful home in Palm Springs.

This years route will be a little different as after we pass thru Hemet we will hook a left and head up Hwy 243 thru Idywild then back down to the 10 fwy where we will have a nice final blast into the north end of P.S. on hwy 111.

check back to this thread as specific 's will be posted over the next couple of weeks. I'll have hotel info for those wishing to spend the night. If anyone has any info on cool things that are going on that weekend post it here. I know I'm going to be heading over to the WW2 Air Museum in the afternoon, I've heard some rumors a few of the RGruppe Ladies will be making the 5 minute jaunte to the downtown area to shop......

This is an official So Cal region event..!! Stay tuned....
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Thumbs up Palm Springs weekend!

All right John, thanks for posting! To those who haven't been on this run you have missed out! Our gracious hosts and friends of the R Gruppe Dave and Sheila open their beautiful home for a fantastic brunch after an early morning run. The palms to pines to palms route takes just 2 hours and covers a wide range of driving conditions, a truly great run!
    This is a outing to bring the ladies as we guys can do our thing after brunch and the ladies can do theirs. In the evening we all get together to have dinner at a local eatery, a fun time is had by all.
    Put this one on your calender and hope to have you join us!

All the best!

Roger Grago
    R Gruppe #27

Gburner
    Sounds like fun! Save a spot at brunch for the wife and I.
    Great date too, no races that weekend.
    Can we run some in car 911 race vids on the plasma?

Palm Springs run

Like last year, there is a 2 day car show and auction going on. Last year a few of us went to it, and it was great. It is the Keith McCormick Auction. Where is everyone planning to stay? Roger, did you stay at the Marriott? A really great place to eat is Cuistot, but it is in Palm Desert.
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

Plans

I stayed at The Lodge in Rancho Mirage (formerly The Ritz), but I always stay there.

I thought the auction was dumb.

I thought the steak dinner at LG's was GREAT, however, if we go again, we should go to the LG's in Palm Desert, the original one, not the one in Palm Springs. Just my .02....
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Palm Springs

If you are hoping to see Porsche's at the auction, you are right, there weren't many. If you like muscle or classic, there were some interesting cars, and yes, you need to be into auctions to appreciate it. Not exactly a Barrett-Jackson or Monterey setting.
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

As was last year, I am pushing the Super 8 motel which is the closest to Dave & Sheila's place, while not the fanciest, it serves it purpose considering that for me at least the weekend is all about driving my 911. Historically, the numbers we see on this are far less than German auto fest, so I cant really push a special rate on any of the area motels considering we are right at the start of the PS peak season.

So if you have a hankering for your favorite plush PS abode by all means book it. Lots of choices in PS. Any ideas for the north end of PS are welcome.

Now as far as Sat nite......

Last year was a lot of fun at LG's but that little voice inside me keeps telling me that the whole concept of our PS weekend run risks of being subconciously dubbed as "boring" if we pidgon hole our selves into doing the same sort of thing every year..i.e. going to a steakhouse chowing down only to call it a nite then and there.

So I'd like to throw out the idea of a early cocktail party at our hosts home with hors 'd overs then a 3 min, 15 mph drive to the "church parking lot" which is right off the main strand .....then we can proceed en masse down the main drag on foot and invade some unsuspecting establishment...grab a quik dinner and then head off to one of the clubs within walking distance for an early nite of fun?

Now this is only an idea...... If you are seriously planning on going....please voice your preferences......as far as social activities are concerned, RGruppe is competely democratic.

Majority will rule (not just a few squeaky wheels...)
    Johnny Riz
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Gburner
    Sounds fun John.
    Last year was too, LG's steak and all that great wine Eade treated us to was tasty. Except socializing was limited to the 6 or so seated within speaking distance.
    Your idea might give us a chance to mingle more. Yvonne and I are in for a little main street clubing Palm Springs style. After our host's happy hour some of us could just catch a van/taxi to main street.

Pines to palms run details...

As usual, we will de departing from the Denny's parking lot at the 5 Fwy / Ortega Hwy offramp. Make sure your gas is topped off.

I will arrive at 7:15, we will be departing at 0800 sharp. I will have route maps and release forms. There will be a $10.00 per car donation to the RGruppe kitty payable at that time. After you sign the release I will trade you a route map for your donation.

This will not be a speed run or anything like it. There will be wives & Girlfriends (a.k.a. "RGruppe Ladies") with us so let's keep this enjoyable for them too.

This is going to be ALOT o of fun, both during the drive as well as after.

so stay tuned....
    Johnny Riz
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Bump!

Let's get a head count!
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333