Thread: Engine rebuild question

Engine rebuild question

Guys,
    I just bought and parted out a 73 E Targa with sporto. My plan is to pull and store the T engine from my 73 MFI T coupe for matching numbers originality. then I plan to use the 73E engine as a base for a 2.7 MFI engine to put in the T Coupe. That way it still looks like a T, but steps out just a bit quicker.
    So here are my questions:
    1. If I reuse the E cams, heads, stacks and throttle bodies with 2.7 P/c's in the 9.0 compression range, what HP & Torque numbers should I expect?
    2. Will I need to rebuild the E MFI pump for the 2.7 or will it work as is?
    3. Should I go full bore and use S MFI pump, cams, heads, stacks, & throttle bodies? If so, how much will the HP and Torque increase and how much will the dollars increase?
    4. Can I easily plug the sporto vacuum holes in the left side throttle body, or should I bore out a T throttle body that I have lying around?
    5. Are there any questions that I should ask before I start, but haven't thought of here?
    Thanks for the help
    The Capitalist Roader
    3 nearly identical silver 's' trim 73's with sport seats, aluminum brakes and through the grill fogs.
    MFI T Coupe, CIS T Targa; Sporto S Coupe

I can't give you much info on your questions, but Web Cam has a grind that is the best of the S and E cams combined. I plan on looking into it myself. I don't see much use for strictly S stuff and I own one. I want a wider range of torque. Chuck Miller's 2.7 (?) is about the perfect setup. Read his rebuild article in the Esses mag that just came out.

Didn't get it? Shame on you, join up! If you did get it, you know what I'm talking about.

Zeke,
    Thanks for the reply. Have been a member of the registry for a couple of years now. Joined even before I got my S. Even though I was born in SF (Letterman Hospital at the Presidio), I am now in Cincinnati and don't have much contact with the left coast.

But before I start in playing with the S engine, I thought that I might practice on the E engine from the parts car. That way, if things go well, I will have learned something. And if things don't go so well, no serious damage is done. My reason for asking for opinions is that I studied at the Alfed E. Neuman school of life: "Learn from the experiences of others because you can't live long enough to make them all yourself".

Rather than see how much power I can build, my goal is to see how much education I can accumulate while I reasonably increase the power of the T car.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
    John

911S sporto

caproader,how rare is a 73 S with sporto;I have a 73 S targa sporto with full leather interior with sport seats,a/c. I know they were special order and by the way it drives great

Frank,
    Does your 73 S sporto have a front external oil cooler? Mine does not even though the car came with a/c. PCNA told me that in the states the front cooler was an option, no matter what other options were on the car. I have added corduroy/vinyl sport seats and through the grill fogs. I have also added SSI heat exchangers but kept the stock heat exchangers in the basement. Otherwise the car seems to be original, including the dealer installed stereo. Car is silver. Where are you located? As you probably noticed, I am in Cincinnati.

John

73S sporto

The car is being worked on by my mechanic;new carpets,new targa head liner,new luggage compartment carpet,and install sportseats just redone by autos international. his name is dick hyland @ 845-744-5427,you can call him with questions after his done the car will be going to limerock,ct;I live in nj

73 S sporto,

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to getting together for a side by side comparison some day. Will you be going to Hershey in April of 05?

The capitalist roader