Thread: Cibie rally light wiring questions

Cibie rally light wiring questions

Guys,
    I finally stepped up and dropped dime on a nice set of Cibies for my 67 SWB. I was wondering if anyone could offer a few tips on wiring.
    1) What gauge wire should I be using to hook them up?
    2) What is the wattage that these things put out so I know what gauge wire to use and what fuse ampage I need?
    3) Can I simply wire them up to the same fuse that I am using for my under the bumper foglights, or do I need to wire easch set of foglights to their own fuse?
    I currently have only one foglight knob on my dash. Therefore, my initial idea was run the Cibies off of the same switch until I can get another early foglight knob. Bad idea to run both sets of lights off of one switch?
    Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gruen911
    Guys,
    I finally stepped up and dropped dime on a nice set of Cibies for my 67 SWB. I was wondering if anyone could offer a few tips on wiring.
    1) What gauge wire should I be using to hook them up?
    That depends upon the wattage of the lights.

2) What is the wattage that these things put out so I know what gauge wire to use and what fuse ampage I need?

12 Volt Quartz Halogen bulbs are usually either 55 Watts or 100 Watts (except H4s, which are for high-beam/low-beam lights). 14 gauge wire is probably ok for a 55 Watt bulb, but going to 12 wouldn't hurt.

3) Can I simply wire them up to the same fuse that I am using for my under the bumper foglights, or do I need to wire each set of foglights to their own fuse?
    They will probably draw more power than that fuse will allow. You could put in a "bigger" fuse but that lowers the protection to each leg of the circuit just a smidgen.

I currently have only one foglight knob on my dash. Therefore, my initial idea was run the Cibies off of the same switch until I can get another early foglight knob. Bad idea to run both sets of lights off of one switch?
    Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.
    Assuming your new lights are foglights, sure. You initially just called them "rally" lights although you refer to them later as fog lights. If they're high beams or driving lights, you want them to come on with the car's high beams.

But! Simply reusing the 37 year old fog light switch will increase (double or more) the power going through your old switch. It would be better to add some relays.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

cibies

Factory cars that ran 2 sets of cibies on front end often used the double pull fog switch... You should use 2 sets of the switch to relay harness's.. still available at the dealer... and everything will work just fine....

Robert......