Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to get replacement lens for turnsignal swb 911's?

where to get replacement lens for turnsignal swb 911's?

I need to replace my American turn signal lenses for Euro spec. If at all possible to find the units, they would be extremely expensive. I understand that there are good aftermarket lens replacements though. Does anybody know where to get them, and if they are really good lookalikes?

It would help in inquiries like this if you posted your location in your 'profile'.

Where are you based - US, Europe or somewhere else ?

Good quality Euro & US swb lens replacements are readily available from a number of outlets & new ones often appear on ebay :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33717
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Point taken. Though located in Europe I am happy with suggestions either in US or in Europe: I have stuff coming in from US on a regular basis and it would be easy to consolidate.

You said SWB? I always thought it was a buy the whole assembly deal with pre '69 cars. NOT cheap...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Paul - replacement swb lenses have been available for a number of years now.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Andy,
    I have read in previous threads here that swapping out the lenses on the SWB cars is a PITA. First you have to break the previous lense in order to take it off. Then you have to snap in the the new lense without breaking off the plastic tabs.
    I think it was Soterick who wrote that there is a trick to heating the tabs before trying to snap them in. Anyone done this before who may have better insight?

Yes, you do have to break the lenses to remove them as well as drilling out the hollow copper rivets but it's fiddly not difficult.

The new lenses come complete with new hollow copper rivets & the tabs can be melted over at the back using a soldering iron.

The (slight) gap between the new lens & the housing can be sealed with a thin bead of clear silicone mastic.

I have carried out this process numerous times & it's fairly straightforward as long as you take your time.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Thanks for the lesson, guys!
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Are the lenses good copies? Do they have the Bosch part numbers etc on them?

Stuart
    '65 911

Yes, they are good quality parts & do have the part numbers embossed onto them.

Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105