Thread: Engine tools: some guidance requested...

Engine tools: some guidance requested...

All,
    First off, I couldn't make up my mind whether to post this here under "general info" or in the "technical" section... I felt I might get more coverage here under "general" so here goes...(note to admin: if I'm rockin da boat on this, feel free to re-locate this thread accordingly)

Ok, that said, here's what I'm looking for: I recently bought a 2.0ltr core motor with every intention of doing my own race motor rebuild on it. I think I have enough books, manuals (including the Dempsey book - which I understand is pretty good, although I haven't received it yet) on hand, and I have enough experienced friends for support. And then there's all the specialized resources (machine shop, and real-experienced engine guys) to turn to when appropriate...

One area I'm real weak in is specialized, Porsche-specific engine tools. I'll certainly (and quickly) figure out WHICH tools to buy...My question is WHERE are the best buys? The best values? etc etc. I've heard of BAUM, and SIR...are there other specialty brands out there to consider?

Anyone? help me become a good, smart tool buyer here. All suggestions, comments, recomendations are certainly welcome. I place a high value on the collective expertise of this group...looking forward to your input.

Thanks so much for the time
    Cheers
    Thom Kuby

Hey Thom, here's another place to look. May be pricey, but another place.

http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.as...ORSCHE%20TOOLS

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Here are three places to look:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/eagleday/specialtools.html
    http://www.samstagsales.com/
    Pay particular attention to Hazet and Sir tools at samstag
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...PTOOLS_pg1.htm
    Several pages starting here at Pelican

Baum is @ http://tools.baumtools.com/index.jsp?menu=por I thought I had heard they were no longer and Sir bought their line. Don't know.

BTW, this will be an excellent page as it develops. Everyone might want to bookmark this thread for future use.

Do wait for the Dempsey book...it contains some good tool info/suggestions.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Thanks...

All,
    Thanks for the additional resources (Zeke & Jens...) This will be a great start for me...at least now, I can "best price" shop to a certain extent...

Waiting for the Dempsey tome to arrive...this is gonna get interesting.

Anybody else have any additional ideas? suggestions?, recommendations?

Again, thanks all...this forum is a great resource.

cheers
    Thom Kuby

Get Bruce A's book

His engine rebuild class is well worth it.

Go slow & take notes, draw pics

Don't force anything.

Good advice...Points well taken

Randy,
    Good advice.
    I bought Bruce's Book(s...have both the "x-rated" and regular versions) some time ago - they are part of my library/arsenal...along with the factory manuals.

I think about his class constantly...I just may scrape the shekels together and go do it this year...

yeah, you betcha, I'm a good one for going slow, and taking notes...

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm really looking forward to this challenge. I always feel better all the way around, when I'm able to do things (like my own motor) on my own...can't blame the screw-ups on anybody else that way!
    cheers
    Thom Kuby

The tuition is pretty cheap and includes a good lunch (both those guys like food).

Double the price to take care of your hotel bill. There is a Motel 6 in walking distance but you pay Silicon Valley prices.

Some people fly in from Europe to take it... (!)

I'd say you will not need it -- but it is fun.