Thread: A Tribute to Phil Hill and the 24 of LeMans

A Tribute to Phil Hill and the 24 of LeMans

My good friend Tom McIntyre, who some of you met at Rob's RS dinner earlier this year, has asked me to post an invitation to a dinner event honoring Phil Hill and other Americans that have raced at LeMans, that will be held at the Peterson Museum on Thursday Nov. 11. The tickets are $100 per person, which is expensive but I would be very surprized if you were disappointed. Tom knows how to throw a good party. It is a fund raiser for the Museum so the ticket price is %100 tax deductible. Check it out.

http://www.velocetoday.com/people/people_33.php

http://www.petersen.org/default.cfm?...CalendarID=224

Here is the hook:
    "The evening will feature a buffet dinner and a film program that will highlight Phil Hill’s participation at Le Grand Prix d’Endurance de Vingt-Quatre Heures, where he drove from 1953 through 1967 during arguably the world’s most exciting era of long distance competition. Following the film, veteran motorsports emcee Dave McClelland will invite drivers who accompanied Hill to France, and others who came after, to share their stories of elation and difficulty in the grueling 24-hour race they underwent in daylight, darkness, rain and fog, behind the wheel of these fabulous, at times daunting, racing machines.

Great names from Le Mans such as Adamowicz, Andretti, Bondurant, Busby, Daigh, Earle, Fitch, Foyt, Guldstrand, Gurney, Hall, Hugus, Lovely, Morton, Patrick, Posey, Redman and Shelby are expected to attend. An exhibition of racecars—among them Bentley, Chaparral, Cobra, Corvette, Ferrari, Mercedes, Porsche, Sunbeam—will be on display in the Museum, some being cars the honored drivers drove to significant finishes."
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Thank's Brian/Fryardds for the "Heads up"...

..otherwise I wouldn't have known about the "Tribute to Phil Hill" about a month ago...thought I give some "feed back"...Very nice and laid back evening with all "the Boyz" telling their stories...including Phil himself...excuse the repeat and fuzzy pictures but I thought it might be fun to see all the Wild ones entering into "maturity"...besides I don't think I'll ever get a chance to get all those Hulligans all together in the same "frame" again...
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

It must be almost 900 years of racing experience here....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lars Wikblad...

"R" Gruppe # 314

I'm really bad with names ..but I'm sure many of you "knows" the majority of them...the guy on the left(recognize him,but...)with the green shirt was the best speaker of them all...Nervous as if in school and swetting buckets but FUNNY as hell...he cracked everybody up....especially when he told us about how nervous Phil used to be in the past before a presentation in front of a bunch of people or something...
    Lars Wikblad...

"R" Gruppe # 314

..interesting to hear mr Hill tell how the stable of "The prancing horse",was just that....sounds like it was really "hit or miss" in regards to organisation,knowing what was really going on with the cars ,preparation etc,etc...he had to stop the mecanic from attaching the Hood back-to-front among other things...but for sure, you can't knock all the victories...
    Lars Wikblad...

"R" Gruppe # 314

Mr Jim Hall seems to be a very cool guy....low key and sharp...Chaparrall,right?...(sorry Jim for butchering the spelling here..)..he does his own thing,it seems...I'll bet he is from the aerospace industry...he carries all his pens in his shirt pocket just like a real "Nasa-engineer"...
    Lars Wikblad...

"R" Gruppe # 314

All of them are really,really cool...Dan Gurney,Shelby,some Swedes as wellick Guldstrand(sort of swedish,maybee) and Stefan Johansen(Definately swedish..)..Bob Bondurant was hanging around afterwords and a guy asked if he could sign something..sure..good,let me go down and get it...dissapeared into the elevator..waiting...waiting...sudden Enormous ROAR outside from the topfloor of the parking garage....the guy brought his 427Cobra...wanted mr Bondurant to sign it since he went to his driving school...No problem,he got it done...
    Lars Wikblad...

"R" Gruppe # 314

Isn't that Tony Adamovich to the left with the red necktie?...I'll bet he knows about "No substitute"...and Danny Sullivan..and..and...
    Lars Wikblad...

"R" Gruppe # 314

Here's what took me there...I got to rub shoulders with another ess....However,I gave them some "pipe" on the way out and like an idiot rapidly exited the event the wrong way....
    Lars Wikblad...

"R" Gruppe # 314