Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at a 911E

Looking at a 911E

Hi there! I'm a first time poster but I've been reading this forum for quite some time now. I'm going to look at a 911E in guards red the coming week but was guards red (indisch rot) really on offer back in 72/73? Porsche Red Book suggests otherwise and the 911 Workshop Manual lists this color (even if they call it India Red) as not being available until -74. However, on the link below it's listed as a -72 color. Feeling a little confused.

http://members.rennlist.com/tweedt/glasurit.htm

So no one knows? I have the feeling that I have seen a number of early 911s in Guards Red but they might have been repainted.
    Anyhow, posting a picture of the car in question. I'ts an E from 73 with a 72 engine with slightly raised compression, recaro sport seats from 71 or thereabout (basket weave), an RS Speedo, no rust (at least thats what the three owners that I talked to say). The MFI pump has been renovated recently. No or very little papers. S spoiler but no S trim. Wrong mirror for the year. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It was a popular rage in the ‘80s to paint earlier cars in Guards Red. I can’t say for sure that color wasn’t offered in ’73, but I’m doubtful. There were other reds of course, and computer monitors distort colors.

Is the paint code plate still in the front part of the driver's side door jam? If so, that would give you the original color...looks like this one came with a power antenna...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Morgan's book lists the first year for Guards red is '74 too. The Carrera RS book lists India red but not Guards red for '73. I'm with Paul, check out the paint tag for the original color.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

That's a nice looking car! My '73 E came with the aluminum trim under the doors and the S trim on the bumpers. I removed the rocker trim when I repaired the rust and repainted. I'm thinking it may be a similar indication of a respray to guards red here since some of the trim has been changed.
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yep, it was totally stripped in the early 90s, why oh why didn't they use a period correct color?
    I've lowered my offer on this car as they are quite expensive over here in Europe. Maybe I should consider importing one from the states instead. The dollar is quite low now.

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Just what IS the diff between Polo/Tangerine/Guards red ?
    My paint code is Polo
    It "feels" to me like tangerine (from the pics I've seen)
    But today I was driving on this classic, fine fall day and came to a stop light - on the opposite side was a car that looked very much like mine. I followed her and with the cars (hers was a 993 guards red) side by side the colors were almost identicle - mine was a shade more orange.
    I sure wish I had a camera - those two cars looked awful nice side by side - the family resemblance was so clear. I will get a pic later (or should I post that on Pelican?)
    John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

These are out of my factory '73 Color Code and Material Samples book...

They're only as good as the scan and what you're looking at them with ... but it kind'a gives you idea...

Yes Guards Red was indeed a '73 color ... AND it was also called India Red

... hope these helps
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Once again, Chuck to the rescue !
    Nicely done.
    That's pretty much what I thought they were but seein them all together like that sure clears it up.

Thanks;
    John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606