Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restoring 'S' calipers

Restoring 'S' calipers

I want to restore the correct finish to the 'S' calipers on the RS. One side is painted silver and the other is painted gray.

Does anyone know who can do this? This was discussed before but looks like the thread was lost during the 'hack' episode. Thanks.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

How about a pair of NOS calipers?

Eric

I knew someone would make this offer. I just didn't know if it would be you or Tom or both.

Actually that is 'Plan B', so lets see some photos of those lovely Ate calipers.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

I'd also suggest White Post Restorations as THE place to have these redone.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Brian,

One of the POs painted my S calipers black. One weekend when project bloatitis struck, I decided to rebuild all my calipers and redo the rear suspension. To clean the calipers I placed them in a bucket of warm water with a cup or so of Tide and let them soak for several hours. I then started scrubbing them with a brillo pad. They came out almost as good as new. It cost me nothing but time (about 1 hour per caliper). I would give that a shot and if doesn't work send them out. One good thing about them being painted is that the paint probably protected the original finish from the elements. Hopefully you can get the paint off without too much trouble.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

I just gave my S calipers the serious wire wheel treatment, then I sprayed them with high temp clear from Auto Zone. Now I am in the process of rebuilding with stainless pistons and new seals. Can't tell you how they hold up until I get the Bilstein struts on the car but by then we'll probably have snow here in Ohio so I will have to wait until next spring for a full report.

the capitalist roader

One caliper....the other is at home.

Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks for the ideas guys and the photos Eric.

Is the original finish bare aluminum? I guess I was thinking there was a yellowish tint to the finish, like Cad plating. Looking at your calipers, Eric, it seems that it is the inherent color of un-oxidized Aluminum. Thanks for your feedback.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

I can post a picture of my Tide treated calipers on Sunday if you want. My calipers have a cad type finish to them.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

My low mileage 71E calipers cleaned up to the same natural aluminum finish, as did the ones on my 69S, and 73S.

I also had these over to Gary Emory's, and he concurred, that the "bare" finish was correct for these early cars, and the cad type finish was for cars after 73....

regards,
    Eric