Thread: San Francisco / Wheel Tire Recommendations

San Francisco / Wheel Tire Recommendations

Okay, so my wheels are on their way from Weidman's today. I need to know the most trusted tire mounters are in SF.

I went to Wheel Works recently to have the tires unmounted from the wheels before refinishing, and they ended up gouging two wheels. Wasn't that angry since they were getting refinished. Now that they are done, I don't want to take chances.

Who's your first choice? I checked with some of the Tirerack places, but thought you all would be a better source.

Thanks for the help, Jason

The very best I've found is Roger Kraus Racing in Castro Valley. He is the Goodyear race tire distributor for the area and also sells all brands of tires. His guys are masters at 911 alignment and setup. I've had him mount 3 different sets of tires on the notoriously hard to mount non-safety-beaded 6 inch wheels, perfect every time. They tape the wheel weights, put on new metal valve stem caps, even line the points of the center cap crests up with the valve stems. A pro shop. Real happy with the new Goodrich G-force tires I got there too, and they are available in a 205/60 size for 6 inch wheels.
    John Gray

70 old air
    86 middle air
    95 new air

Had heard they were very good

and they were my first choice. My problem is that they are not open on the weekends and it's hard for me to get down there during the week.

I'll wait and see what else turns up...otherwise, it might be a great sick day excuse!

Old thread revival: My current shoes on the 911 have about ten years on them and it’s time for some new ones. Going with the Pirelli Cinturatos (my spare which looks like it’s never seen the road has them).

Any current Bay Area tire shop recommendations before I start calling around? Thank you. (I see John’s rec is still in business...)

Member#2944
    Custom Alignment in Mountainview. All the latest equipment to insure your rims look the same as when you brought them in. Well versed in Porsche and talented and careful technicians. I usually have my tires shipped directly to them from the Tire Rack.
    Tony

'68 912 SWT White
    '74 911 Targa Lime Green
    '03 Boxster S
    ‘13 Cayenne GTS

Call Bill Eason at Eason Autoworks in Oakland. Yes, he is not a tire shop but he can help you and is a great tire mounter. 510-420-1262. Tell him I had you call.

Regards

Jim

Thanks for the leads guys, appreciate it.

Yup, I second Roger Krause Racing in Castro Valley; believe me they are well worth it. They recently rebalanced my just refinished by Weidman wheels, Deep sixes, and the shop that previously balanced them screwed the balance all up. Roger's people are top notch and were very careful working on mat car/wheels.