Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what do you think

what do you think

i'd like to get some feed back on my 911... http://home.bak.rr.com/hobbitsmoke/

i'm thinking about putting it on the market and would like as much info as i can.

thanks

I would suggest researching like model/year cars in a similar cosmetic condition. The pics make it look beautiful, but the real questions are rust, engine condition/compression, body filler used, what work it still needs (since they all need something), how it drives, and did I mention rust? The internet is a good place to start - but then you know what you paid for it a year ago Good luck
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

more response would have been nice... anyway, the car is rust free, cali. car and it's garaged. also, no accidents

i guess what i should have asked is there any collectibilty here? you don't see many 68 911's out there... and, if i put it on the market, where should i start? i'm just feeling things out...

thanks

High back seats look funny in an early car, don't they? Only a thorough inspection and a PPI would prompt me to hazard a guess on value. You might try ebay tho...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    One person's opinion (mine, so flame away if you'd like)...

The 1968 911L isn't the top SWB choice collectors seek in a completely stock "survivor" condition. But your car's updates like the engine painting, the seats, the stereo, the new exterior color, the wheels, won't bring you much collector interest.

Now, that being said, it doesn't mean you won't find a buyer for your car. It looks sharp and if it's as clean as you claim, there aren't many quality SWB cars for sale.

Good luck with the sale.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

agree about comments. this car is far from original so no market for you there. there is a market to make it an R gruppe car or vintage racer with a lot of work.
    $6K with good PPI results.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

first let me say that the car looks very nice in your pictures, not original but nice, now as to the statement rust and accident free unless the P.O. took lots of pictures of the car while the work was being done it's hard to prove at this point that the car is or was truly rust or accident free, after a car is painted ,undercoated and the interior has been re-installed one can hide a great number of problems, I know people that have gone to great lengths to have cars inspected and found out later that there was major rust hiding where no one could find it till they started restoring the car, and just because it's been here in Ca. doesn't mean anything either, if the car spent it's life at the beach it can be a bigger rust bucket than if it came from the east coast, none of these early cars were zinc coated and years exposed to salt air sure takes it's toll, anyway getting away from the rust and accident subject 68 was a year of some major changes for on thing smog control which at this point in time is not an issue but back in the day made everyone a little crazy and the interiors in the 68's with that rhino hide and those funny door pockets ( I can see from the pictures that they redid them like 67 door pockets )makes them a very hard car to restore correctly, color changes and adding later style seats does detract from the originality also a non-numbers matching engine is not going to help either,

I would say at this point the car has to stand on it's own, which is if the gaps are correct and if you can put it up on a lift and everything looks good from underneath and the engine and trans check out then thats what your buying, once cars like this have been modified the cost to return them to original can be more then the car is worth so it is what it is, a collector would not be interested as there have been to many modifications done, this is the type of car that someone that is looking for a first 911 to own that is not looking to spend a lot of money on would be willing to buy and maybe return to a more original look over time or just drive it and have fun with it, after all driving them is what it's all about, isn't it ?

as to value well that's up to the guy with the check book, but the real problem is that pictures just aren't good enough, to truly access value on a car like this you have to physically inspect it, touch it, feel it, look at it from every angle and then do it again, if the car is as nice as the pictures make it out to be then I wouldn't be afraid to ask 10.000 remember beauty and value are in the eyes of the beholder and you can always go down but you can't go up.
    Sam

Self anointed Head of the SSSP
    ( Super secret seat police )
    our motto is : if you've got a bug up your ass, we put it there

67S polo red 307958S (gone but not forgotten )
    87 factory turbolook Lagoon green metallic ( G50 O'yeah )

I agree with Sam completely (as usual). I bought a genuine 68S recently for £3500 (IRO $6000) that had been converted to LWB, SC interior etc. BUT it is a real S. Your car is a mongrel, and as such has one value to an suspecting buyer, or less to a restorer.
    No insult or disrespect intended
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Its a shame the previous owner didn't leave the car bahama yellow- I love that color!

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by nick-moss
    I bought a genuine 68S recently for £3500 (IRO $6000) that had been converted to LWB, SC interior etc. BUT it is a real S. Your car is a mongrel [/SIZE]
    I can't believe you described his car a mongrel.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E