Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radio experts??? and H1s???

Radio experts??? and H1s???

Am looking for a period correct radio for my 68L. There are two on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...932653690&rd=1

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...933087003&rd=1

Are these correct ones or does someone have one for me???

Also, any H1s for sale out there???

Thanks
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

http://www.nosubstitute.org/911/radio/default.asp

One souce for you. Also there was a fairly long thread on Radios here not long ago...hold on, I'll do a search. (edit) Here it is...a lot of info on the above site and this thread:

http://d240157.u39.zeonhost.com/foru...ighlight=radio
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I have a set of H1's I could sell. You know how much these things cost, right?

radio links

pwd,

Thanks for the links for the radio. As for the H1s, Randy, I just PMed you.

Cheers
    Michael

More than Original
    Here's another great source. http://oldautoradio.com/

Josep is very helpful and has a 911L as well. Prices are high but the radios are rebuilt, tested and will last longer than the ebay or swap meet units.

Is your dash cut? If so some period units will fill the hole. It think a Becker Europa fills the hole of a modern stereo and was an option for the 911L.
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

BD

Thanks for the link. These look quite nice, and I will not have to send them down to Palo Alto to have them gone thru. No, my dash is not cut. I have an early 80's balu cassette player in there now that has the two knobs. I never listen to cassetes anyway, so might as well go back to the radio.
    Michael

If you're like me, you won't listen to the radio much either...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I spent a lot of time trying to find a working radio for my car. I succeeded (but it is a few years older than I really wanted) in getting the right model.

But, honestly, everyone laughed at me. Now I understand why. When driving over 40 mph, the sound of the engine and the wind through the Targa top is much louder than the radio, unless I turn it up to ear shattering levels.

The engine of the car is where the real music is. That is what I was told. And . . . . . . . that is where the truth lies. Trust me.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

I completely agree with you both. Although my 68 seems to be my long distance driver at times...to parade, monteray...etc. I find that on long cruising days on the flat and straights a bit of "car talk" or " prarie home companion" comes in handy. The car is completely original exept for the radio...I guess I should just fix that.
    Michael

Wink Why so loud???

What have you all done to make your cars so loud inside? after 35+ years both my 67 and 68 are quiet. I hear the engine, but not overly, at speed unless its at very high RPM (65-7500). The radio comes in loud and clear in both right now...They are both a bit quieter than my 89 Targa, and a bit noisier than the 993 coupe. hmmmm, the only mods though are the K&N watersheds on the 68 and it is a bit louder than the 67 with the stock box on it.
    So, radio for good period looks and correctness and sometimes for a bit of extra noise or music.

Sounds like you need a new sound pad in the engine bay and maybe some new door and window seals? hmmmm
    Michael