Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seat advice

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar

Seat advice

I've been offered a very nice set of recently restored vinyl seats with houndstooth and the proper head rests for my 67car .
    My original +2s are leather and in excellent shape. How difficult would it be to find leather seats in very good condition with the proper headrests and how much might they cost ? or how much to buy and restore a lesser set ?
    Should I get the vinyl seats which look great but are different than my +2s ? I know for a bit more I could get repro R seats but I would rather keep the car as original as I can manage. So idealy I would prefer stock leather seats.
    Should I make up my own mind and not worry about the seat police ?

Any ideas ?
    Thanks;
    John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

when it comes to seating originality is always nice but comfort and safety are issues that I think should come first, the nice thing about seats is they just bolt in and bolt out, so having a nice original set of seats for those times when you want things to look correct is fine but having a seat that fits and holds you as you power through the turns is a whole lot safer.
    Sam

Self anointed Head of the SSSP
    ( Super secret seat police )
    our motto is : if you've got a bug up your ass, we put it there

67S polo red 307958S (gone but not forgotten )
    87 factory turbolook Lagoon green metallic ( G50 O'yeah )

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    I knew I could count on you oh master of the SWB. (and photoshop).
    Are the original seats on the 67 not all that secure ? I do enjoy a bit of throttle steer off the beaten path (why else get a SWB ) and will do some driver ed and (relatively) light tracking (if I can control myself) - what would you recomend.
    I don't want to spend what they are getting for sport seats these days.

Thanks again Sam;
    John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Wht they cost!!!

While we were in Indiana on our romp, someone mentioned to me that he had just purchased a set of Sport Seat cores from a burned out early car (how sad). They will require more work than the normal set of cores, but he paid $1,900 for them, and felt lucky to find a set.

Youzers!!!!

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Quote Originally Posted by John Fusco
    I knew I could count on you oh master of the SWB. (and photoshop).
    Are the original seats on the 67 not all that secure ? I do enjoy a bit of throttle steer off the beaten path (why else get a SWB ) and will do some driver ed and (relatively) light tracking (if I can control myself) - what would you recomend.
    I don't want to spend what they are getting for sport seats these days.

Thanks again Sam;
    John

I am not a lover of the standard style seats either in my 67 or my 87, and it's true that trying to get your hands on a set of sport seats ( correct style or not ) today can set you back way to much money, I think the first question I would ask you is what is your budget for seats, how much are you willing to spend ?
    Sam

Self anointed Head of the SSSP
    ( Super secret seat police )
    our motto is : if you've got a bug up your ass, we put it there

67S polo red 307958S (gone but not forgotten )
    87 factory turbolook Lagoon green metallic ( G50 O'yeah )

Hi,

I have a set of sport seats that I might consider parting with for the right money. They are complete with brackets and have the reddish cloth/cord inserts.

They are on the East Coast.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tim

PS you are right, standard seats would NOT be suitable for Driver's Ed.
    Early S Reg #675

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    The original seats are great for the street but forget about "light tracking" because you won't be able to control a very important part of your anatomy--Your butt.

I had my original '69 seats refilled and recovered in German vinyl. They were perfectly comfortable on the street. But when I took the car to my first POC DE event at Streets of Willow? What a joke! My butt was all over the car. Even my instructor had a wild look in his eye as his butt slid all over.

So, I had an RS seat built from vintageseats.com and Auto's Int'l. Now my ass stays planted and I've dropped my lap time at Streets seven seconds this year. (And at the track, no one there cares a hoot about originality, which is really quite refreshing.)
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

1967 Seats

Here are the seats that John is referring to
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I second the vintageseats idea. They will hold you in place and not look as stupid as a pair of Sparco Pro 2000s stuck in there...
    Early S Reg #675

Seats from Vintageseats are also a bunch lighter than the originals. And, while I haven't tracked Kermit, I do have a pair of sport seats in my car with cloth inserts. My butt doesn't move when I go around corners!!! My wife feels a bunch more comfortable in the Porsche than she does in my Lexus Coupe.

The deal is the height of the side bolsters, and the cloth inserts. Both help keep you in place. The low back seats have a more flat seating surface. There really isn't anything to keep you in place except the seatbelt.
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC