Thread: cost to rebuild 2.0S engine?

cost to rebuild 2.0S engine?

i know in general a rebuild for a 911 engine can be up to $10K depending on the engine. i know some cases require more machine work than others. i know some parts may or may not need to be replaced. i know some go through some extensive modifications. so i am asking for some costs specifically to the 2.0S and rebuilding it to factory specs - nothing fancy - no HSR spec'd engine - no 2.2S upgrade - no race fuel only engine - just factory. thanks so much.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Bob, engine builds are extremely subjective. A master machinist can find many wrongs in a brand new motor, looking at them one at a time.

That would be my point here, is that every engine is a different set of circumstances. Do you wnat to start from scratch with a table full of unknown and unrelated parts? I'm sure that speaks of a 10K job in itself.

Or do you have good bottom end where the bearings could be fitted if needed and some new rod bolts on rebuilt/rebushed rods. Do you have clyinders that are in spec and can be fitted with pistons, or even just rings.

If so, you might just lightly square the tops and bottoms along with just a kiss of decking the case and a tiny cut in the heads to bring all of that into square. That takes a lot of friction out of the engine.

The usual valves, seats and guides brings you to chains, tensioners, ramps, sprockets and cams. I'd regrind the cams to a nice E profile with a little lift to get some gas in there. Some of the rest may or may not need new

The rest is common ground for all rebuilds, i.e., gaskets, flywheel freshening, carb rebuilding, distributor work, wires and plugs.

If you got lucky and did it yourself, with real good parts to start with, you might be looking at $3500. I'm hoping to do one for about that plus the cost of brand new Mahle P/C's. If I could twin plug it using an Andial conversion, I guess I'd add that in.

Haven't got that far yet.

porsche power plant pick pocket protection

I have (copies) of receipts for a 2.0 full rebuild...with parts, machine work, clutch and trans work....$12,000.

I had a top end performed on my car...and tuned to perfection for $6,500. For what you have specified, without major problems....$11,000 is a good figure.

Ask the best in the west, 2.0 and 2.5 liter engine guru Frank Beck what he would charge. He made my car quick and dry. I know that he rebuilds 2.0 race engines every other VARA weekend for $15,000 and up.

The guy knows his stuff. Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

thanks milt and shawn. i am pursuing a lead on a case that is only special to me and will most likely build the engine up from there. i'll keep you posted on what i mean by that as i go down that avenue. this might be a good opportunity for me to learn more about the car. with this info i am hoping the cost will be in between the above figures.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Bob,

My engine builder, Leo Droughton in Marysville CA, is a longtime engine builder/Porsche mechanic. He was one of many contributors to Tech Articles in Pano before Bruce Anderson came on the scene. I ship my engines from Seattle to him, due to his competence, long time service to the hobby, and because he is extremely honest, and VERY reasonable in price. I haven't had a complete ground up done by him lately. Note that he still gives annual tech sessions to his local PCA group.

If you would like his number, I would be happy to comply. Note that he has many longtime customers including Gary Emory of Parts Obsolete.

Eric

Bob, Wayne Depsey's book: "how to rebuild and modify Porsche 911 engines, 1965-89" is good educational reading. Even if you don't plan on doing the work yourself. You can buy a copy through Pelican Parts, and perhaps get an autographed copy! This of course, adds absolutely no value to the book.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)