Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '70S decklid emblem trivia question

'70S decklid emblem trivia question

I just noticed that on my '70S, the "911S" emblem on the decklid is silver (aluminum) in color. The PORSCHE letters are all gold in color, which I know to be correct. My question is should the emblem also be gold to match? What is correct?

BTW, the Peter Morgan book says a '70T should have the 911T model designation in silver, while the E's & S's should have the model designation in gold. Anybody know what is correct? Better yet, anybody have a super low mileage unmolested '70S in the garage that they can go take a look at?

FWIW, TKO Tom showed up yesterday in his signal yellow '71S (my car's twin separated at birth!) andhis decklid was the same way (i.e. gold Porsche letters, silver model designation)

Thanks to all!
    2015 McLaren 650S spider
    2001 Ferrari 550
    2010 Ariel Atom 3
    1979 Ferrari 308gtb

Paid-up Registry Member & proud of it!!

Rob,

The emblem should be gold. Yours probably was at some point in the past but has faded with time, that is what happened to our '71S. Here is Randy's '70S.

Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Rob

It was great to meet you and some of the other Porsche nuts over the weekend. Sorry I could not make the breakfast following, but sounds like there will be plenty of events to make up for it.

So, back to the decklid badge issue, if gold 911S is correct for 1970, what is correct for 1971? When I got my car it appeared to be pretty darn original, paint and all, and it was the badge was silver at the time. It did not appear faded either. ...Anyone?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Early 911S Reg #544

2.2S emblems

Rob,

My Conda '71S was the same way!
    PORSCHE in gold, but 911S in silver.
    The edges of the 911S appeared gold however, suggesting that the top had faded with time. I have since replaced the 911S emblem with a newer one that is COMPLETELY gold.

Come take a look!
    Howard Lazarus
    Early S Registry #357
    RGruppe #181
    1971 911S Conda Green, Factory Airport Gears
    1972 Corsican Rose Love Fest

Quote Originally Posted by sithot
    That might be Randy's '70 S but it was MY 70S at one time!!!
    Tom,

Maybe he would entertain a trade of sorts for an orange 911. He doesn't have one in that color.

When I removed the '911S' and 'Targa' badges on our car they were gold underneath, but had faded to silver on top. Oddly enough the PORSCHE letters don't seem to fade much at all.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

I'm pretty sure the color of both scripts was an option - silver or gold, your choice. My 1969 S and both my 1970 Ts are gold.
    Early S Reg #675

Quote Originally Posted by sithot
    That might be Randy's '70 S but it was MY 70S at one time!!! The emblem on this car is correct; Pete Bartelli owned the car before me and he was a stickler (a 356 guy and concours judge too!).
    Did I ever tell you guys about the time I got that car to pull 8,500 rpm in second?

Best,

Tom
    Ok Tom
    Now you have my attention. A friend of mine has always refered to the Irish Green car as the one with the happy engine. It always pulls cleanly to
    8,450 but come, on 8,500

current care taker

Randy

Not sure about 70, but for 71 gold 'Porsche' lettering and silver '911' lettering on the decklid was original and correct on my car.

If all else fails read the parts manual.

It shows:
    Insignia "911S", big (901.559.308.50)
    Insignia "911E", big (901.559.325.50)
    Insignia "911T", big, gold-colored (901.559.311.50)
    Insignia "911T", big, chrome-colored (901.559.311.20)

So it would seem to me that just gold colored insignias were offered for the 2.2L 'S' and 'E' models. It also shows gold colored and chrome colored PORSCHE letters, as well as the Sportmatic insignia.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

FYI, I pulled the emblem off of my decklid to swap with another Registry member who wants a silver one. THe back of my emblem was indeed gold, lending more credence to the theory that the model emblem should have been gold. Odd however that these tend to fade so much while the individual PORSCHE letters do seem to fade to silver. Go figure?!?!?!
    2015 McLaren 650S spider
    2001 Ferrari 550
    2010 Ariel Atom 3
    1979 Ferrari 308gtb

Paid-up Registry Member & proud of it!!