Thread: 930 brakes vs. S brakes

930 brakes vs. S brakes

The winter project for my '70 S is to update the front and rear suspension, and possibly change the brakes. I currently have the stock S calipers.

While I am in there...what do you do?

I) rebuild the entire stock system, upgrade the
    master cylinder, wheel cylinders, better pads,
    go to cross drilled/slotted rotors
    or
    II) go out and find 930 brakes

Is there THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE?

P.S. Anyone have a COMPLETE set of 930 brakes?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

I put C2 brakes on my 1970 911T. I noticed a big difference in pedal effort and stopping distances. Since I track this T, these brakes offer much better fade resistance, especially with Pagid RS Orange Pads. The C2 brakes, front and rear, should be easier to find than the 930's.

JLC

JLC,

Thanks for the tip. I will look into C2 brakes, never thought of it actually. I've read where people are putting Boxster brakes on, ruled that out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

Gburner
    Ray, I rode in an early 911 last weekend at Streets of Willow that had the most awseome brakes and they will fit in a 15 inch Fuch. R Gruppe member Hayden Burvil had them on his early 911 and took me out for a session. Hayden is the man behind the WEVO porsche parts company. His brake kit is so new it is not yet on his site. http://www.wevo.com/porscheproducts.htm
    You should call him and check out his kit, just awesome!

Here is a link to a Pelican thread with some pictures of his kit.
    Pelican thread with more pics and info.
    These brakes were desighned just for your application. The perfect upgrade for an early 911!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gburner

Thumbs up

Here's R Gruppe member Hayden Burvil in R Gruppe 911 with the his awesome brake kit at Streets of Willow. Hayden's car felt like it stopped quicker than my early car with turbo brakes and wider tires.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The projected cost of the WEVO brakes kit? Parts only? $4,400? YIKES! This makes me glad to not be a track junkie... The name of the game is: "How fast do you want to spend". At least that hasn't changed over the years, only the numbers are different.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Quote Originally Posted by RC70SCoupe
    The winter project for my '70 S is to update the front and rear suspension, and possibly change the brakes. I currently have the stock S calipers.
    Ray-

Is this your street car or your track car? I would vote for rebuilding the stock system if the car is going to see little or no track time. Upgrading is a costly proposition, especially if you still want to run 15" wheels, and not really necessary unless you're running big sticky tires and doing a lot of continuous lapping at the limit in hot conditions. Good cooling, fluid and pads can go a long way in preventing fade, and the bigger rotors, calipers and wheels involved in upgrades carry a penalty in unsprung weight and rotational inertia.

The Wevo kit looks outstanding, and $4400 is pricey, but a 930 upgrade will end up running you $3000, probably. If you are changing your wheels too, then there are better alternatives. Check out Rennsport's brake page for some ideas, and of course, Bill Verburg's brake info is always helpful.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Not intending to slam any of the upgrades or those who use them, especially the track people. But I find myself in agreement with Mr. Tweed on this one...just making sure your stock brakes & pads are in top shape, and keeping that fluid fresh, can make an improvement....
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Stock Vs. Modified

I agree with the above posts too.

If you can lock up the brakes, you don't need much more clamping power on the street.

The bigger brakes only help in a couple areas:
    1. If you have more tire (wider+ stickier) makes it harder to reach the threshold of a smaller brake.
    2. Heat from repeated hard use on the track (especially with the sticky tires mentioned in #1)

I was able to get the 930 calipers and rotors inside my 15" Fuchs without a problem. They will lock my 245 width Hoosiers easily with a 23mm master cylinder. I've never witnessed any appreciable fade. On the street I'd never get close to using them.

I believe there is a way to put the '80s Carrera calipers on an early car, those brakes can be had pretty cheaply.

Jol

930 vs. S brakes

Hello Ray,

I made the switch several years ago on my 73 coupe originally equipped with factory S brakes. I tried new slotted rotors and new pads but was never very happy with the stock brakes. The change over was dramatic.
    Arguably overkill for a street car they do the job when called apon.
    23mc gives a rock hard pedal. The feeling is one of extreme reserve in braking potential which I never felt existed before. Necessary? Probably not.
    Would I do it again? I might be inclined to experiment with some other pads and make sure all components were in top shape first. Now that I have them I'll just enjoy the confidence they inspire. But care is required too (as is the case when driving an early 911 in many aspects). I've locked up my front tires at speed on dry pavement a few times, so they need some respect.