Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the benefits of this club?

More than Original

Question What are the benefits of this club?

I am a member so I have done my part. But what are the benefits of joining this club other than 4 newsletters and a sticker? If you look at the event calendar there are no events that are organized by the club, there are no group discounts to events, and no regular meetings that I've been invited to. Where is my money going, I know printing costs are high but if the majority of the money raised is going there why not publish it online? 500 members at $30 a year comes out to $15,000 raised each year . The BBS is good (Pelican's BBS is great) but that seems to be the only thing going for the club at this point.

I am willing to do more than my part, if any of you are interested I would like to propose two monthly get togethers for us in the So Cal area. The first would be a meet at restaurant during the week (Thursday night) for some food and car talk. Just a simple meet and greet possibly followed by a small cruise up or down the coast. The next event I propose would be a get together at Dromo 1 once a month. Your thoughts?

(I posted this in the membership area also, but I knew no one would see it: http://d240157.u39.zeonhost.com/foru...ead.php?t=4722)
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

I live in Munich. I used to live in Canada. I will never get to a meeting in SoCal. I still think some membership fee is in order, even without meetigs and discounts. I just sent soterik an email asking questions about tool kits and got an answer back within hours. An answer, for that matter, that none of my collection of 911 books could have answered. And that is just one small example.

I would gladly pay the membership fee even without the magazine. I have learned more about these cars from this board than from virtually any other non-hands-on source.

Now let's talk about putting the magazine online and charging everyone the same rate. THAT is a discussion I would join in...
    Early S Reg #675

More than Original
    I agree 911s911rs the people on the board are great, but you did not need a membership to get the info or replies. I am not upset about the dues I just feel the club doesn't feel like a club to me.
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

Nobody's getting rich from the membership dues, that's for sure. In fact, I doubt that the dues pay enough to just run the website and forum.

I live in Northern Vermont, so I'm not really within walking distance of the "Home Zone" of the Southern California meetings either, but that doesn't dampen my enthusiasm. I have gotten to know the fellowship of the group. Just the Forum alone would be enough for me, just as a way to share info and to stay in touch with like-minded folks. A wonderful benefit has been the number of friends I have met.

The plain truth is that Pelican is a parts supplier that offers their considerable site free to users with the resulting business generated more than justifying the expenses associated with the site's operation. The marketing budget pays for it. Wayne is a great guy and has done the Porsche community a great service.

Here we have a fairly narrow set of interests by comparison. If you feel that you benefit from the interactions and shared info, then the dues payment is really a minor amount of $$.

Keep the faith.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Quote Originally Posted by B D
    I am a member so I have done my part. But what are the benefits of joining this club other than 4 newsletters and a sticker?
    You got a sticker? I hope I get one when I renew.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

What?

And for your dues, you don't even get to read TABBYS diatribes anymore. Some might think that a blessing...

Throughout my life I have never been a joiner...I have always marched to the tune of my own drummer....but somehow this is an organization I have stuck with, maybe it's the warm reception I have received from the membership that has endeared them to me....or maybe it is the sheer delight that I get from corresponding with the membership...either way I am here to stay...
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

More than Original
    Tabs maybe we could organize a S club buffet?

I am just looking for some more good times with good people. I am not leaving and I will continue to renew my membership.
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

Thumbs up Not a member but...

I've had mixed thoughts on this recent "debate" of member vs. non-member, board use, etc., but I finally have an opinion to share, if I may.

I'd like to use another similar club as an example. The 356 Registry has been around since the 70s. For 35.00 dollars you get a bi-monthly, lavishly published magazine full of colour images and tech-articles by some of the 356 industries most highly regarded experts. The regular holiday events they host are exceptional in value, but typically cost around 120.00 for the weekend, plus extra for the dinners, etc. The network of people you are put in contact with, for group drives, tech info, and socializing is also first rate. This club was formed before the internet age, which has made a lot of services, communication primarily, a redundancy of the "traditional" club format. Just go over to the Pelican board and listen to the constant back-lash against the PCA; lots of people have come to the conclusion, that with tech-boards that are free, why join a club that I have no interest in?

NOW, having said all that, I'm in NO WAY PUTTING DOWN THE EARLY S CLUB AND THE HARD WORK OF IT'S BOARD AND SUPPORTING MEMBERS.

Remember how old the 356 Registry is? How long do you think it took them to get up and running to the point they are at today? I agree, that anyone who HAS an early car and enjoys the benefits of this board should pony-up and support the organization. Clubs of this nature take a long time to build and establish. Only with everyone's support and faith, will it turn into a strong club that will be "money well spent"(although I wouldn't disagree now).

BTW, I'm not a member, but as soon as I have a car, or have the funds to start looking for one, you bet I'll join up. In the meantime, I love reading all the postings and seeing all the images of your great cars. This is definitely an organization that has legs, and shouldn't be allowed to fall apart because of 35 dollars a year.

Being an enthusiast, I appreciate the "free" use of this board, as inspiration, and think it should remain so. It is, after all, a great marketing and promotional tool for the club.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    "The 908 Kind"

93 VW Corrado - VR6
    (my Porsche in training)

I have a blog!!

rennlist gallery

The Club

BD,

I think you may have a misconception about the Early 911S Registry. The registry was set up not as a club persay but a registry for the small bumperd early 911s. We are VERY fortunate here in Southern California with all the events and get togethers that go on ie; this last weekend at Crystal Cove.
    This forum was set up to share information and communicate with one another, when we do get together it really is just an added benefit. When there is going to be a get together, it is usually posted on this message board.
    And yes even Tabs is welcome here when he's not poking someone in the eye with a sharp stick and being civil.
    BTW you should have joined us this last Saturday, it was a good time.

All the best!

Roger Grago
    Early 911S Registry member since 1999
    R Gruppe #27

U know Roger for an R Gruppe boyz your allright....not like that Vile Old Man aka PWD72S....
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism