Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Factory's Restoration Program

Factory's Restoration Program

Has anyone checked into the Factory's restoration program?

I'm wondering if I could send them a '69 T (for example) and get back a ST spec lightweight car? If I could, I wonder how it would compare to an RGruppe car on one end (like Sherwood's) and an original ST (with history) on the other end? I mean, it would be factory,no? Kind of fun to think about.

What would you have them build?
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)

It's never hard to spend money. Making it's the trick. I'm thinking that there are now shops right here in the you-ess-hey that could do a better job for less outlay. The old buck vs. the euro thing, combined with the Porsche currency exchange program...when the dollar falls in value, Porsche prices go up...when the dollar gains in value, Porsche prices go up.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

While I have no particular direct knowledge, I'd have to agree with Paul. The old stamping dies have probably been sold off if the stamping was ever done right at the factory to begin with.

Old American stamping dies are owned by people who cater to the aftermarket and restoration business while the car manufacturers focus on designing and building new cars. What I'm saying is that the Porsche factory probably has to go outside to buy many parts used in the restoration. That makes them just like any other restoration business except that the job is performed on hallowwed ground most likely by veterans of the assembly line.

However, I'm in total agreement that the same talent exists here. It just doesn't come with the label "Restored at the factory." What's that worth ot you?

No way would I do that even if I had major $$ burning a hole in my pocket.

I could do THE most bitchin car right here in the US....I can give you a list of guy's I would use, and the end result would be absolutely a knockout.

Probably if I had the blank checkbook, I'd drop it into Gary Emory's lap.....his personal connections are absolutely unbelievable.....and he know's where stuff is hidden.....

But then there is a hole list of guy's on this service...and a phone call away...and all reliable and trustworthy.

regards,
    Eric

Might have been a more interesting idea 3 years ago when the Euro was around 85 cents instead of $1.33 today.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

"In the spirit of what the factory was doing..."

So goes the R Gruppe credo. Not to be a smart-ass, just a real topic of some interest. Seriously... what's the difference between an RS and an RS clone, besides the time that has passed since the RS was built?

The factory built it.

Does this mean if (and this is a big if) the Factory would me a replica RS or ST, would it be "real?" Or "more real" than one made by some shop in the US?

That's worth a lot to some, even though I could probably get it done cheaper and better over here.

Either way, I won't be sending any Euros to Stuttgart soon... a little too rich for my blood!

Jol

I can't comment on the ST body stampings/molds, but a lot of the original FACTORY later stuff, 924GT, 944GTR, 934,935,956,962, are all stateside....to be used in case of accidents in vintage racing, in order to put original cars, back as close to "original".

regards,
    Eric

home built S/T

I just started a project building a '70 911T into an S/T,I believe it will be one third what ever the factory charges.
    1/ 70 911T $15,000
    2/2.5 litre twin plug engine from gunnar racing $25,000
    3/suspension coil overs and other parts $6,500
    4/ seats $1000
    5/misc $3,000
    To do it right it will cost about $50,000,and you will have a truly bitching car,the factory IMHO would be $150,000 if they would do it at all

Isn't there a fundamental difference to be addressed here...?

An RS was produced by the factory as a regular production run car, if it was one of the first series it was finished off, sent to the seight bridge and then returned to the factory to be either a LWT or Touring.
    The series 2 and 3 cars were finished off on the productionl ine.

That can never be 'recreated' if you see what I mean. Nobody else has the production line.

As I understand it the STs and other 'race/rally' cars where drawn from the production line and modified by the competition shop. Admittedly it was the factory shop but it was notheless a workshop hand building the cars.

This type of wrk can be 'recreated' a the skills and craftsmanship is not limited to the factory...which would have had to use outside ( of the workshop ) facilites to perform work it could not do. So there must be a number of very good shops in the US who could do this.

Based on that its not a financially viable operation to send it to Porsche to be done when the spirit and talent to do the work can be done elsewhere.

RS clones, however well converted, will never be production cars, which to my mind (feeble as it is) is part of their awesome status. These were regular production cars not race specials...

This thread got too serious for what I intended. This was pure fantasy (or was inteded to be). Imagine (if) factory had access to NOS parts, top notch workers, materials, etc... if cost was fair market value.....what would you build?

I actually like what Frank's building above. Wish I had 50 large laying around that the wife didn't have earmarked already.

But on a serious note, if I could do it over I"d probably beg the Emorys or Rick C to do my car. They are the best resto's I've seen.
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)