Thread: Best vintage Porsche magazine

912->911 conversion

Best vintage Porsche magazine

So what are the best magazines for consistent vintage Porsche content, that isn't aimed solely at millionaires? I'm not really so much into reading about cars that guys have sunk $100,000+ USD into as a majority of the magazine. Nor am I that interested in reading yet another article spweing about how fantastic the V10 in the Carrera GT sounds - I get it. I will never afford one. Next subject please.

Discuss.

-Keith

If there is just one to pick, then it might be Excellence, but it's kind of pick-and-choose. There really isn't just one specifically about early cars, well yes there is...The Early 911S Registry's The Esses and the R Gruppe News!!

I get 911 & Porsche World, GT, R&T, C&D, Automobile, AutoWeek, European Car, Panorama, Motor Trend (don't know why?!) and others. They all have good early content from time to time, but not nearly enough.

I just got a huge pile of early Panos from a dear soul. What a great resource! The for sale sections are breathtaking, how 'bout a concours 550 RS Spyder for $3800, WITH SPARES!!!

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

912->911 conversion
    Humph. Well, I've been a subscriber to Excellence for a few years now, and it gets a grade of maybe B-. While the vintage content they do have is good, it is quite focussed on the Unobtanium. But there are gems (well, there'd have to be or why would I renew?). However it is still heavy on the "new" Porsche cars.

I have also been a VW&P (aka European Car) subscriber for many, many years. But my subscription runs out in a few months, and I think I'll just go back to picking up the odd copy from the news stand.

I always check GT and 911 & Porsche world at the news stand and sure there are the odd good vintage article.

I was just hoping someone had a regular supply to "feed the need".

Oh, and send me the phone # for that 550 RS I'll fire up the Delorean and shoot back in time!

I think that Excelence has been getting much better with the vintage content as of late. Lots of cool cars this year representing the R Gruupe and several nice early plasticars. The stories in Excellence are typically very in depth too.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Like I said, "they ain't just one". It's catch-as-catch-can. Sometimes Vintage Motorsports covers early 911s, and Classic and Thoroughbred, and a number of the other classic Brit mags. Octane has occasional coverage.

I bet there are some vintage rallye magazines out there that also cover the Early 911 participants. Are there any specific to 911 vintage rallyes? There certainly are lots of Urupean vintage rallyes going on in Ireland, Great Britain, and the Continent.

Ikadams, I'll scan some pages from the early Panos. Some of the asking prices on low miles 2 year old 911Ss are just excruciating. I think there was a 904 for sale in '67 for $4k or so.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

912->911 conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer
    I think that Excelence has been getting much better with the vintage content as of late. Lots of cool cars this year representing the R Gruupe and several nice early plasticars. The stories in Excellence are typically very in depth too.
    Sure Dave - I'd agree with you there. I've laughed my heinie off at a few articles in the past couple of years - there have been some great articles - I love the guy who bought the 928 for $500, and Eric Meyer's articles on both the 356 and the Rometsch have been good (but of course fall into the category of spending ludicrous amounts of cash on a car, but at least he can acknowledge that). But the cars tend to be big big dollar cars, and very few of the average Joe kinda cars - I guess that's their perogative - feature only the best. The articles are wonderfully in depth, but never enough pictures!

I hoping that Ultra VW (hint hint) can get some good vintage 911 stuff in there.

-Keith
    (also with a 64 Cal-Look, but only in look as powered by a 1200!!)

I check the bookstore every month and only buy the issues that have good early content. I just had a Cal dOOOOd send me the 71 spare parts catalog pictures only for shop use to show the parts explosions....invaluable! It's the people tied together in the early car world that are going to keep the flame burning brightly thru sharing of knowledge. You'll never find that in an Excellence magazine.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330