Thread: We must stick together.. a end of a era!

We must stick together.. a end of a era!

Jeff Smith, Rob Gross, and myself have just returned from Germany.
    While in the Stuttgart area we decided to stop at the factory.
    Sherwood Lee has posted wonderfull pictures over the years of his visit to the factory. They are great, as they show the way it was done 30 years ago. By hand, with pride. This is when Porsche was Porsche. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday. Those are the cars that gather us on this website to share enthusiasm of real cars.
    Today, things have changed. Some of the older buildings have been torn down and replaced with metal ones. (the town has made two of the original brick buildings historical sites, and can't be touched, thank God). Some of the parking lots where the cool stuff used to sit, (917's, RSR's and such), have had prefabbed mental ones erected in multi level fashion, to house some of the current inventory housed waiting for the trucks to haul them away. I have watched the whole scene there change since my first visit in the late 70's. All the men behind the cars we love have retired, or past away.
    Earlier in the week while visiting with Alois Ruf in Pfaffenhausen, he advised us that Jurgan Barth has retired from Porsche! This is a end of a era! He spent 40 years with Porsche and was the only one left with the love of early 911 cars with spirit.
    I mentioned to Smith that it was about 1:00 and the afternoon factory tour was to begin. I knew the woman who ran the schedual, and thought if the tour was not booked up by chance, that the 3 of us could slide in.
    He replied, " I have no interest in seeing Subaru's assembled" ! I must admit, he's kinda right. The original factory tours took all day. Seeing everything. That included eating with the workers at the factory canteen at lunch time. Today, the tours take about 90 minutes tops, and there is a lot you don't see. Like the bodies being painted, or the unibodies being spot welded together.
    Bottom line.......We are a cult of a certain kind. It's up to us to keep the flame alive. And the pilot to this flame is right on this board!!
    The factory back in the 70's had a area where you could buy cool goodies. Sport exhaust, fuchs wheels, roof racks,hotter cams, piston and cylinder kits,, and that type of needed items. Today, you have wool sweaters, golf bags of leather, aluminun brief cases, ect.......
    The cars have changed, and so have the customers.
    It's all up to us to keep the original fire going. And I think we are doing a great job!

Rick, I took this shot from one of the factory windows when I took the tour in 97 they wouldn't let any one take any pictures inside the factory, the museum was still very small back then but I here that they enlarged it , did you take any pictures ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sam

Self anointed Head of the SSSP
    ( Super secret seat police )
    our motto is : if you've got a bug up your ass, we put it there

67S polo red 307958S (gone but not forgotten )
    87 factory turbolook Lagoon green metallic ( G50 O'yeah )

Rick, I agree with most of what you say. It’s too bad the official tour isn’t what it used to be. You can make a similar analogy between the current Mercedes and Porsche factories. The Mercedes factory of today makes Porsche assembly line look like it’s stuck in the 70’s. Up until the 996’s Porsche only used one robot on the assembly line and that was to install the windshield if I remember correctly. The Porsche plant is still worth visiting. The tour, museum, and Werk1 all make for a great day trip from Stuttgart.

Sam,
    That building is Werks 1. That is one of the two that is preserved by the town. In the 70's I walked throught the door and stood there as motors were removed from SC's and converted to 3.2 liter, before delivery, as part of the "special wishes" program.
    In the 90's, no entry, but you could "peek" through the windows and see what's going on.
    On monday, it was changed to a galvanized fence surounding thebuilding with a gaurd station to prevent anyone from entering the parking lot. I believe it is still the special wishes dept.
    Pictures..... not much Sam of Porsche. This was primarily a VW trip. I'll post one on "off topic" to show what we were up to.

EJ 11 hhf,
    Yes, I agree. I did the tour last year and the only robot was the rear window install. I believe that is in the GT3 only. They explained why, but I forgot. Yea, cool, but far from 25 years ago.
    The below picture is Jeff Smith and Rob Gross trying to figure out how to get a 16 cylinder aircooled into a pre 73 body!

I was just wondering what kind of bond you were referring to
    Sam

Self anointed Head of the SSSP
    ( Super secret seat police )
    our motto is : if you've got a bug up your ass, we put it there

67S polo red 307958S (gone but not forgotten )
    87 factory turbolook Lagoon green metallic ( G50 O'yeah )

Sam,
    I think we need the Super Glue!

Nice to know that Jeff is, as ever, diplomatic!
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Sammy!!!!

You shouldn't show those glues on this Board....you gona get the R Gruppe excited and Gawd knbows what they are gona come up with next...
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

Now Ricky....

Ohhhh you just discovered Porsche ain't what it used to be.....geez I told you ALL BEFORE....Gawd and Ferry Porsche RESTED in 1974....so what the fk is new....
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

Thank you for your post, Rick. I do my part. What did you ever do with the very early ('65) aluminum case/long block -P?C's you got from me? I figured it went to the proper 'authority.'