Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What does an Early Restoration Cost?

What does an Early Restoration Cost?

As many of U know I have a 1969 911S that needs to be restored....so my question is what does a GROUND UP resto cost for an early 911. Pleeze any answer that just says it's lots of money....is just being TABISH.....

We can break the work down into Engine/Transmission, Suspension/Brakes, Body/Paint, Interior, Electrical and Miscelanious...With subheadings for each group..

Also I would be looking for recommendations for those guys who "Lovingly Restore to better than new."
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

resto cost

paint:8000-12000
    engine and trans:12000-17000
    interior:3000
    wheels tires:1250-1500
    suspension: not sure
    I'M doing a RS at Gunnar in fla;it will be better than new so far it's over $70,000.......hope this helps. My quess for an early 911 35000-50000

Quote Originally Posted by fg1227
    paint:8000-12000
    engine and trans:12000-17000
    interior:3000
    wheels tires:1250-1500
    suspension: not sure
    I'M doing a RS at Gunnar in fla;it will be better than new so far it's over $70,000.......hope this helps. My quess for an early 911 35000-50000
    Right on the $$$ Frank, except I would leave MORE $$$ for Interior, say closer to $4500-5000.
    AND, the big unknown...METAL WORK! Even 'no rust' cars can EASILY have $5K in metal work, before paint.

Suspension: $2000 to go thru and REALLY do it right and dial it in (new, larger torsion bars, corner balance, brakes, shocks, brakes, etc.)
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Osama Bin Tuba, 30,000 spoons outta do it.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

My total for parts and materials for all the major stuff was about $25 - $30K, and I'm supplying the labor at that price. I'm sure I have a revised total since the last count, but I'm afraid to know what it is.....
    Leaf green 72T, SOLD!
    Gone back to my MoPar roots!

Restoration?

Tabs,

Don't tell me you are FINALLY thinking about REALLY putting your car together?

All the best!

Roger
    R Gruppe #27

Ted,

unless your planning to become the master contractor on this job I'd think you would be better off getting names and phone numbers of people that restore early 911's rather then pricing everything ala cart, also any estimate that anyone gives you is just that, it won't be until everything is apart that anyone can asses the true condition of your parts, just how good or bad things are will depend on what it will cost you, and then you have to ask yourself just how far are you willing to go, where you get into the big money is when you decide that you want a brand new car believe me I know and the longer you wait the more it will cost you, I doubt that you have been sitting back collecting parts all these years so unless you have a secret stash of NOS parts somewhere then your going to spend some big money to either restore or replace things that just aren't going to look good in a brand new car hundreds of little items that add up to big money, if your not worried that your going to have more invested then you can ever get out of your car after it's done you should be.

the smart money says to find a beautiful car in perfect condition, buy it and sell yours, you won't have to go through the headache's and BS, I should have done that and I can't tell you how many times I kick myself, I had a chance to buy a beautiful original silver 35K miles 67S for $28,000 but no I had to restore my 67S that I've had for almost thirty years, hey don't get me wrong I love my car but when I look back at what it cost me and all the BS I went through I truly think I would be just as happy today if I had bought that silver car and I'd have alot less invested, I am smarter today then yesterday but you know something, I still couldn't tell you who to take your car too.

only time will tell
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Sam

Self anointed Head of the SSSP
    ( Super secret seat police )
    our motto is : if you've got a bug up your ass, we put it there

67S polo red 307958S (gone but not forgotten )
    87 factory turbolook Lagoon green metallic ( G50 O'yeah )

Tabs,
    The above posts assume you want an "as new" restored 911. In fact, you might be satsified with "just a nice ride". If so, they're out there for considerably less than what a fully restored 911 is going to cost you. I'd follow Sam's advice and hunt for one you like within your budget, then sell yours to recoup the outlay.

MHO,
    Sherwood

Stacy? Your suspension estimate? You're talking parts only, right? Parts price list, including tires, for my recent suspension overhaul at a reputable shop was in the $2k range. Yes, shop parts prices...I don't believe in going to a shop with discount parts asking a pro to install them. Parts he can't get through his channels, okay...but if he can get the parts, I'll pay his price as part of the service. Curse the $/Euro relationship as of late...parts prices are headed North. Not that I've ever seen 'em head South...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I dunno Sam. There's a lot to be said for still having the car after 30 years. All else aside, THAT'S where you ended up. Maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic, but it counts for something. One of those intangibles that has meaning.

Nice Leitz rack on that silver 67. I'm looking for one of those.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183