Thread: looking for 70s 911 in san francisco

looking for 70s 911 in san francisco

what is the scoop on the car dealership at bush/franklin san francisco Cars Dawidilk---? I cant even spell the last name but they always seem to have some really nice 911s? a bit pricy though they seem to be pretty picky (i like this about them) about having only nice cars. how long have they beejn around?

They've been there a while, Cars Dawydiak...

The shop used to be focused on all makes of vintage cars. 356, early 911, Series Land Rover, Benz, Jag, Ferrari, etc, etc.

In the past few years it has switched its focus to late model Porsches with the occasional late model Ferrari, Benz, BMW Z8, with the occasional vintage car thrown in for flavor. I think this is more of a sweet spot for the SF market, I imagine turnover is probably significantly better.

I think they generally have a good reputation, I haven't heard anything bad about them, though most people agree with your opinion of their pricing. However, I don't know anyone that has bought a car from them or that currently has their car serviced there...

For what its worth,

Unhappy

I used to live in SF back in the late 90's and I would go in there every few months to see what was in the inventory and what the prices were. They usually had at least one or two 356's and an early 911.
    I remember when I first moved there and had no money, they had a late 60's light green (avocado colored) 911S and wanted mid 20's for it. It was beautiful, but I thought that it was crazy money to ask for an early S at the time. Not anymore...
    My impression was that they were very pricey but generally seemd to have some nice things. Most of the cars had heavy detailing work done to them which really made the cars look nice. They also have/had their own body shop upstairs on the second where I would expect that most of the repaint and cosmetic work gets done. I went up there once or twice and remember that they had a XKE Series 3 in BRG that they were doing a ground up restoration on. Looked like they were doing a good job. They said that they had way north of $50k into the resto and were willing to sell it for $35k. I took a pass....
    I believe most if not all of their cars are on consignment, so you can assume that Dawydiak has at least $5-8k per car built onto the retail price. Back in the late 90's when I would go in there, I remember that their nicer 356 cab's were priced in the mid to hi 30's. That's pretty much right on for today's market!
    By the way, they will let you test drive if you see anything nice. And I remember looking at a one of the cars and finding the current owners registrataion in the glove compartment. One of the cars they were trying to sell was also listed in Hemmings Motor News at the same time by the real owner while it was being offered by Dawydiak for $5k more.
    The showroom location is great though. It sits there right on the corner of Bush and ?, and everbody driving downtown can ogle at their dream cars on the way to work.

Cars Dawydiak sold a car for me back in 1994, a 1959 VW cabrio, which they got $16,500 for. They kept $2K. The car was restored to perfect showroom condition, a 100-point car. When Walter Dawydiak first saw it, he reacted like a kid inside the Wonka chocolate factory. And this is when he had a half-million buck Ferrari and even a Tucker in his store. He LOVES nice cars, no matter the pedigree. He's a good guy, very honest, and you'll pay top dollar. But he only sells the best quality cars. He has a shop upstairs for mechanical and body work, so he can get the cars he sells sorted out before they go on the showroom floor.

BTW, he sold my car to a collector in the Hamptons on Long Island. He called him up to tell him about my car, and it was sold. So he has a network of rich folks, and this allows him to get the high prices. I wouldn't be surprised if he had Seinfeld's number. If I had the money, I'd just get my next P-car from him.
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa
    They have a '73 RS for sale...

Like I said, if I had the money...
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa
    They have a '73 RS for sale...

http://www.carsauto.com/detail.cfm?ID=27630
    He told me it was sold
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

speaking of dealers in the city:

British Motors Showroom – 901 Van Ness – building designed by Bernard Maybeck in 1928