Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Color change...yes or no?

So many questions, so few answers....

Question Color change...yes or no?

Car ('67 S) was repainted by the PO after a fender bender. The color match was not too good. It is now apart and I have to make the big decision. Color change or keep it as is/back to original?

The problem is that the car is currently Sand Biege with a light tan interior. Although I have seen some very nice cars in this pairing, in my opinion these are not the most attractive colors. I would prefer silver with a black interior.

Does a color change (done well...completely stripped) have a negative impact on the longterm value of the car or it purely a matter of personal choice. Particularly since the silver I like is a 2004 color. I saw this silver on a 356 Cab that has won several awards and think the color really looks great as the light changes from one surface to the next. The 356 matched it with a blue top & interior done by Autos International.

Just would like some opinions.....Thanks.

Too bad you bought a beige on beige car

IMO, if the car was not an S and if it had a black interior you could make a case for changing the color. As it stands, as a rare car, with a beige interior, you should keep it the original color. Take the opportunity to do it right, keep it as original as possible and then someone on this board will give you good money for it which you can take to buy the car you really want. But you may find, when you are finished with your project, that you have fallen in love with the car and don't really care what color it is...

No question that the value of the car with new color will be different. For some folks, it will be about 10-20% less (maybe 30 or 40% less with some 2004 wacked out color change paint job) and for some folks it will be worth about 10-20% more (maybe 30 or 40% more with some 2004 cool color change paint job)...

If you see what I mean.
    Early S Reg #675

Go Sand Beige

912->911 conversion
    I said it in another post, but I'll say it again - I prefer the off beat colours to the usual background wash of red, white, black and silver.

I'm not against colour changes per se, I'm just not in favour of painting your car the same colour as everybody else's Like a nice VW L41 Bordeaux red would be a great colour

Keep it original, it will still look great, and imho an original car in the long run will be far moe valuable.

Please post some pictures when it's done.
    Henry

color choice

one of my restoration magazines helped me make this decision.
    the more valuable the car the more important the color choice.
    if the color can be id'd by the vin or paint tag then that should be the color
    to maximize value.if no color is specified then a period correct color is the next best choice.unless the car is highly modified, then modern paint may increase value.however,the decrease in value would never be greater than the cost to repaint(which could be significant).
    imo, paint it whtever you like if you're gonna drive it or keep it awhile.
    bob

I have an Ivory 911S that I am restoring. I thought about a color change, but to do it properly would have been too expensive. Now that the car is painted (but not assembled) I have to say that I am really ahppy I kept the original color. You can't compare tired old paint to a fresh coat of the same color.

A beige or ivory car wouldn't be the most attractive color on a car today, but I think it goes well with cars of our vintage.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    First, I feel like every American has the option to do whatever the hell he or she wants to their car. I actually think those exact words are in the U.S. Constitution (Jefferson was a very forward thinker).

That being said, vintage cars demand vintage colors. Would I repaint my Leaf Green with Guards Red or Silver? Not in a billion years. Sand Beige is one of the great 1960's colors. In addition, you've got the complimentary light tan interior which makes your car even more valuable. To strip out your rare interior to replace it with uber common black? Tears come to my eyes.

If you're going to repaint (because, again, it's your right as an American, but you do acknowledge that the color change will definitely hurt the resale of your car), pick a great 1960's color like Aga Blue, Irish Green, or even Slate Grey, and keep that light tan interior.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    I like sand beige - cool vintage color. Keep it.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Color Change

I have a 66 911 in Sand beige, and it is very cool. Keep the original color, done right you will love it. And, like mentioned above, should you ever want to sell it, it will bring more money in the original color.
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224