Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #'s matched car?

So many questions, so few answers....

#'s matched car?

OK, please excuse my ignorance, but are all early 911 doors stamped with the chasis numbers? I found the stamping on my doors today as I was taking them apart. "409S" I had my '69T apart and I don't recall seeing those marks. I am aware of the body & engine numbering, but did not know other panels were marked as well.

Any informaiton would be appreciated.

Again, please take pity on the new kid!

I've never had my doors apart...where were these stampings? My thinking is probably a mfg. number, not related to VIN number...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

At about the center of the door.

I have the doors totally apart.

Both doors are stamped with the last four figures of the chasis "409S". 1/4-3/8" high lettering.

The stamping looked to be done by hand. They are not perfectly lined up and on the driver's side, the "S" is stamped on it's side below the "409".
    The other door is much more uniform.

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Hmmmm... I don't recall seeing any numbers when I had my 73 doors apart. Can you post a pic?
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

I hear that they used to mark the doors on 356s with the cahssis number, I guess because they were virtually hand made. I haven't seen it on any of my early 911s, but then I haven't looked. I will do now.
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Numbers on doors

This is from my 1965 911 (made in 1964). The last three digits from the serial were stamped on the doors, front and back lid so the right parts were fitted after painting. The lids where stamped under the hinge locations.

This is the door from 300149. My 1967 also has the stamped numbers on the doors. At some point the factory used a number unrelated to the serial number as a internal code just to get the right motor and interior into a given car. I don't know about all those newer cars - after 1967.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gee, I wish they'd done this on the later models...an easy way to see if anything's been replaced. Thanks for the info. Learn something every day...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Can You Imagine

Can you imagine the nightmare of having all those numbers stamped on all the different parts...That would make having a matching number car a whole new ball game...One in which I wouldn't even try and play...

Now the Huns have always been on the anal side with their stamping of numbers on guns...before WW1 their military rifles and pistols had the numbers stamped on everything including the screws...

Now imagine what it would take to concours a Porsche if this is the standard that has to be met....
    Master of the Buffet

Voice of Reasoned Conservatism

Mine look just like Bob 67S only with an S at the end

Thanks for the photo Bob.

I will take a couple shots of mine for my restoration records.

Damnitall,

this is supposed to be kept a secret!!!!!
    How else do you know that the car you just bought is "all original"?

s
    '65 911