Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gulf Colors?

Gulf Colors?

Suspect this has been asked and answered before, but my search effort failed. Are the blue/orange gulf colors standard Porsche colors? I am going to try to be creative with an Olympic Blue 914 autocross/track car I am working on. Tangerine/Phoenix Red look pretty close on the orange and the blue is pretty close too. I need to paint the entire car so the "correct" blue and orange would be best. Anyone able to give me a name or number?
    Jim Chambers
    1966 912

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Probably Mexico Blue.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

No, it's Gulf Blue - much lighter than Mexico or other blues. Std. avail. color in the mid 1970's.

I think the orange color is called Gulf Orange - not sure re that.

It's probably a safe bet that they were colors specified by Gulf, not Porsche. I'm sure whoever keeps the archives for the current incarnation of Gulf Oil has the specific formulas and chips, somewhere.

But a lot of guys have come close enough to look pretty good. If you do a search on the Pelican BBS, there have been threads on some BBS members' cars.

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Gulf Livery at Rennsport. Pics are small to help keep color accurate (photoshop compression washes colors out).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Gulf Orange is a '72 to present Porsche color, it's code is 019. Here is the formula.

Gulf Orange on Glasurit

Gulf Blue is a '72 to '75 color, it's code is 328.

Gulf Blue on Glasurit
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Thanks to all. As usual, this group has the answers. I'm a little embarrassed however. Imagine that, colors called Gulf Blue and Gulf Orange. How mysterious. Just opened my Brett Johnson 911 Guide and there they were.
    Jim Chambers
    1966 912

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar

Gulf Promo

Cool Site...
    Hmmm - $8.00 for the watch and $.20 for the keyring (in quantity).

Think I'll start an ebay business selling "very rare" Gulf Racing Swag.
    Now... wonder if they can print the Heuer logo on those watches??
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Imagine that, colors called Gulf Blue and Gulf Orange. How mysterious.

Hehehehee ... and the introduction of those colors just happened to coincide with the Gulf sponsorship program. I think we've stumbled onto something here ......