Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question re fastening the aluminum door sill plates

Question re fastening the aluminum door sill plates

O.k. guys, I bought new aluminum door sill trim plates to install on my '70S. Now I know that that outer edge (which is the vertical portion approx 1/2 inch wide) is attached to the car with the plastic rivets. However there are a series of mounting holes on the inner edge of these trim pieces. This is the portion of the sill plate that is right under the door seal. Here's the question:

Do these inner holes also require the plastic rivets for fastening, or isthe trim plate screwed to the car on the inner portion with small philips head screws?

All you guys with early unmolested cars (Frank, Eade,Paul, etc.) help a brother out and go take a look at your cars. Thanks to all & happy holidays!

Wolf
    2015 McLaren 650S spider
    2001 Ferrari 550
    2010 Ariel Atom 3
    1979 Ferrari 308gtb

Paid-up Registry Member & proud of it!!

My 69E with original sill plates had plastic rivets in all the mounting holes including those you mentioned. By the way, I may have a source for rivets that would be much cheaper than Stoddard's & others. They are sold in large packages for very little $. I already had purchased from Stoddard's when I stumbled on the source. I will post it tomorrow and someone might want to purchase them and compare them to Stoddard's. I think the package was something like 4.00 per hundred.
    Scott
    Scott Marshall
    911 S Registry member#724
    1981 Porsche 911SC
    1993 Porsche 968 Clubsport
    1961 Abarth Record Monza, 1964 Abarth Simca 2000
    1962 Abarth 1000GT, 1964 Abarth 850TC Nurburgring

Hey Wolf, Hey Scott

I think I may have to tackle this myself in the next while. Do you have pics of the stuff you're talking about. I'm not quite sure I understand but I may be interested in some of those rivets as well.

Thanks

A.T.

I checked on the alternate rivet source and they appear to be too large in diameter. The originals are about 1/4" dia or 6mm while these are .375" or about 3/8" or 9.5 mm. They are sold by MSC Supply at 800-645-7270 and the price was $16.98/100 or about 17 cents each. There is no dia. listed for the driver pin portion of the rivet but the dia is probably close enough to the original to work.
    Scott Marshall
    911 S Registry member#724
    1981 Porsche 911SC
    1993 Porsche 968 Clubsport
    1961 Abarth Record Monza, 1964 Abarth Simca 2000
    1962 Abarth 1000GT, 1964 Abarth 850TC Nurburgring

sill plates

I am afraid you all are going to go to the Porsche dealer and order the rivets in order to have a satisfactory result. I think they are less than a dollar each and they have not always been availible - so go get them while you can. There are only about a half dozen attached to the 5/8 verticle portion of the sill and thats it. the other strip is for the carpet edge and they are screwed down. The screws look like a special size- so don't loose them. Regards Chris R- Gruppe #144

When did Porsche go to plastic rivets? The rivets on my 67 911 were metal and when replacing them I used metal again.

metal...

Both my 67 and 68 have metal...maybe they changed in 69???
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Anybody have a part number for them? I am at work and don't have a copy of PET here.

Thanks,
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Neil,
    You want metal rivets part numbers or the aluminum sills themselves? I bought mine from Aase 2 years ago.

I just need the plastic rivets holding the door sills in place.

I am going to regret installing the old door sills in a freshly painted car, but I can't replace EVERYTHING on my budget .

Thanks
    Neil
    '73 911S targa