Thread: 911 L numbers question

911 L numbers question

I am looking at a 1968 ivory european 911 L with the following numbers:
    - chassis: 11810669
    - engine : 3080594
    - paint: 68-6804-G

Based on Peter Morgan's book the engine number appears to be a misfit. However what puzzles me is that the car has what appears to be the original service booklet (number 02276) which indicates that the car was delivered in Zurich, Switzerland, on June 24 1968 (24 kms on the clock) with the chassis and engine numbers above clearly reported in the booklet. The booklet also indicates the name of the Swiss importer (AMAG) and that it is the 5830th car they delivered. A plate on the left side of the engine compartment shows the matching information (AMAG 5830), apparently this is standard in Swiss-delivered cars.

Am I reading the Peter Morgan numbers wrong or are these numbers truly a misfit? Any ideas why the service booklet would have these numbers at delivery?

Also does anyone have an original 991 L owners manual (English or French) for sale (car has a German version) or a recommendation where I can purchase one?

Finally, does Porsche in Europe (or Switzerland) offer a 'Certificate of Authenticity' service? I have tried to contact them via email but still haven't heard back

Many thanks for your help.

-Mike

Peter Morgan's book ("Original Porsche 911") is wrong !

Original engine number (Type no. 901/06) would be 3080xxx - which ties in with what you've got in 11810669.

Paint code 6804 is Light Ivory.

Incidentally I have a NOS Driver's Manual available - email me directly :

andyjboy@hotmail.com

You should be able to get the original build specifications from Porsche AG in Germany but I think you have to be the car's owner to get this.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

The engine type is 901/06, numbered from 3080001 - 3080655

902/01 is the five speed transmission on the L model.

I have an English manual from 04.1968 that I will trade for your German one.

You can email the factory at Tobias.Schmidt@porsche.de and get a certificate, it will cost around €80.

Send me a PM if you want to do the trade.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Early S Reg #675

engine type is 901/06

- too little sleep !

I've amended my original post accordingly.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

andyjboy and 911s911rs, many thanks for your replies, very useful!

andyjboy, any recommendations for a different source of information (other than Peter Morgan's book) which would be more accurate? I am sending you an email re. the drivers manual.

911s911rs, thanks for the offer to trade, much appreciated, but I will explore other options first since I want to keep the original documentation with car. Thanks for the tip on getting the certificate I will email the factory.

Mike,
    I see that you are a new member of the registry and are located in Switzerland. Where are you located? I am in Zurich as well and also have a SWB 911. I would be happy to meet you and check out your new ride. Don't know if you are using your private messaging. If so, feel free to send me a PM.
    Regards

Get hold of a copy of the Factory's Technical Specifications booklet if you can - they often appear on ebay.

Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

gruen911 you have a PM.
    -Mike

1968 911L Light Ivory