Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vic Elford - Christophorus

Vic Elford - Christophorus

The current Christophorus (Nr. 311) has a good 6-page article on Vic Elford. I can scan it and post but I want to make sure we're 'legal' in doing that. Anybody?

Curt,

This is what I would do...

Scan and post the article 'header' only... Then supply a link to their web site (if they have one)
    Meanwhile, try to get in touch with the magazine or the author of the article to get permission....

I got spanked by Sherwood (our x-web master/ pro photographer) about proprietary material enough to TRY to do it the right way at the beginning.

However I still screw up all the time... example: the Elford pic I posted from my vacation without photo credit...

Holiday cheers to you and yours,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

OK, well how about if I do some free advertising for them and post this teaser photo from the article. You'll have to find your own magazine to read the article!

Hey Curt, scan it, post it, and credit Christo for it. Simple.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

You can post part of it in order to comment on or parody it. Then someone else could post another part of it and do the same. Big hole in (c) law. Of course, in the unlikely event that they went after you, if they could prove that you organized such a 'conspiracy' they might have a civil RICO claim against you.

I'd certainly try and ask first tho - common courtesy.

Naturally, I am not advocating that you do any of the above or break any other law, not am I acting as an attorney in this or any other matter for you, me or anyone else, even Joe Blow, nor do I make any warranty -- express or implied - in anything you or anybody else ever sees from me, my heirs, assigns, or other living or once living creature -- in short, yew ah ohn yore own, suckas!

A few tidbits from the article. Things I didn't know for sure. Porsche's involvement in rallying was attributable directly to Vic. He had been racing for Ford in 1966 but was dissatisified. He contacted von Hanstein at Porsche but was told Porsche wasn't interested in a factory program. Nonetheless, Vic convinced him to loan him a 911 for the Rally of Corsica in '66. The car arrived with 2 mechanics, extra tires and nothing else. Vic asked where the spare parts were. Huschke replied, 'Porsches don't break'. Vic said that, in fact, he never broke a production 911 while racing. Anyway, Porsche was impressed with Vic's performance and the rest is history .....

Now for some trivia:

We all know Elford won the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1971 with a 917. What was Vic's only other victory in a 917?

So nobody knows the answer to the question? Maybe nobody cares .... Anyway, I've pieced together some info from Christo and a few other sources:

In 1973 the Interserie race organisers at Hockenheim rented Donohue's original 917/30 test car from Porsche for Vic Elford to drive. The series had become the "Kauhsen/Kinunnen show" much like the CanAm had become the "Bruce/Denny show" a couple of years earlier and they wanted to spice up the race a bit. For some reason, the chassis was shortened back to 917/10 specification and the 917/10 rear bodywork/tail was installed???? The car was painted in Jagermeister’s orange livery. Vic, of course, proceeded to win the race over Kaushen's 917/10. Big deal, eh? Well, Vic had never driven a 917 turbo before. In fact, the first time was at the Weissach test track ...... the morning of the race!!!

The same car was sold to Martini Racing for 1974 and Kaushen won the championship that year. The car is variously referred to as a "917/10-30", a "917/30-10", a "917/30" and a "917/20" depending on where you get your info.

These are the only photos I have of the car, 1:43 scale models:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    I'll add that to the 100 other reasons Vic Elford is my hero.

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Cool fact Curt...

The '73 Porsche Sport book Rusz says:
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

... It's a slow night in Reseda..

Found this on pp 431 in The PORSCHE Book by Boschen and Barth...
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter