Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member

Hey guys,

I have been reading the 911S forum for almost a year now and would like to say that it's awesome! I'm only 15, but I have a great knowledge about these early 911's. It all started when my dad bought a 72' 911T that been sitting outside under a tarp in Dallas for many years. The house was right next to a busy street, so every once in a while when we drove past it, I would take a quick glance at it. I had thought it was just normal old 911. Well, about two years back my dad had found a cheap 70' 911T in the city of Waco in the local newspaper or "AutoTrader", which is about 1 1/2 hours away from Dallas. So off we went with our trailer to pick up this car. This is another one of those regular old 911's according to me back then. Since my dad used to be a euro classic car dealer and still is a bit, he knew a little about these early 911's , but he knew more about 356's. The funny thing about the car was that my next-door neighbor used to have a 70T and had been trying to sell it to my dad for MANY years until finally he sold it without telling my dad. Well, when dad bought the signal orange 70T in Waco, my dad noticed a sticker on the rear bumber guard of my neighbor's old company he used to work for and consequently it was my neighbors car!!! We brought the car home and left the car on the trailer in the driveway so my neighbor could see it. My neighbor gave a ton of original documents, original manual, and some other things that belonged to the car(now you can see how paperwork and documents of a car can get lost over time). A week after my dad bought the 70'T we pasted the black 72' T but the tarp wasn't over it this time. This time it had a "For Sale" sticker on the window. I was now a bit familiar what kind of car this was. So my dad stopped off and took a look at the price on the sticker of $8000. My dad rang the doorbell and the guy came out and after all the talking they had finally settled on $4,500 (pretty good, uh?). It was a pain to load the car up on the trailer because it was off a busy street. The car was slowly being restored by an old teacher that was going to move to Japan to teach the following two days after the car had been sold. One of the major issues about the car was that it needed a rebuild on the MFI pump, so my dad just bought a rebuilt one off ebay, which was pretty expensive -$450. He brought the car to a friend of his who owns a shop to get the car running. The car needed some other things done, but were very minor such as installing a new rear quarter window. The car also needed to be polished a little. After the car came from the shop we parked it in the garage, but it had a very low battery in it. So one afternoon I decided to put the charger on the car and I just spent most the afternoon around the car. I was started to love it! Then after an hour of charging I tried to start it and it just cranked right up. I loved the sound of that flat six!!! My dad came out to see and he was proud. Ever since then I have had a passion for these cars and I was getting very interested in them. I have bought books, magezines, and looked all over the internet over the early 911's. I know so much now that I can even wright a book about these early 911's myself. Personally my favorite is obviously the 72' 911S coupe. I am searching for these cars everyday of the week and am reading the forums 24/7.

Erick

Great story Erick. May you & your dad make many fond memories with the '72.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Welcome aboard Eric... The adventures have just begun...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Talking Cps

Way to go Erick,

The disease you have contracted is called Chronic Porsche Syndrome (CPS). When infected at an early age (I was 14) you will not and cannot be cured. You must understand that CPS will be with you all your life. Wives and loved ones will try and divert your attentions and attempt to save you and your money. You may be lulled for short periods of time into thinking that CPS has been arrested or even cured. FOGETABOUTIT!! You're hooked. Welcome to the
    sanatorium, we're all friends here.
    Ed
    Ed Barnett
    RGruppe #124
    Northern California Racing Club
    American Racing Club
    Member, Northwest Hillclimb Association

Eric...there's only one known cure for the above described syndrome...BIGGER ENGINES WITH BIGGER BRAKES AND HUGE SUSPENSION! You'll find me wading around in the CPS pool up to my ears mumbling something about cams and carbs all covered in 20W50 oil. Welcome to the rest of your life.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Erick,

Welcome to the clan of the 'bitten and smitten'. I fell in love with 911s when I was 15, and the bug has never left. (Which was more than a few years ago). Sure I was tempted by the seductive lines of Ferraris, but they were always like the prettiest girls at school; nice to look at, probably a great drive , but very tempermental, and expensive. In other words - high maintenance. The Porsche dealer was 5 blocks away and a European speed shop with two gorgeous '72 911s, with all the good mods, were always parked proudly in front. I visited both frequently

Great story indeed. Looks like the good ones don't always get away. And I have another $4500 if your father finds another rust free example in the neighborhood!
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Welcome Erick!
    Keep up the good work. I was raised in much the same way. My father was a VW nut and had several when I was very young. I started reading VW magazines at age 10. We bought my first one when I was 13 and restored it into a nice Cal-Look car for me to drive to High School. I had a similar passion, reading everything I could get my hands on about VWs and then eventually Porsches. I now own my dream VW and my 70 911S. My passion has led to a side job as a writer for several VW magazines and look for my first article in "Excellence" in two months.

Old cars are a great hobby. You meet many terrific people, and being passionate and involved like you are keeps your head straight when times are a bit tough and you need a good outlet from the real world!

Now, lets see some photos o the machinery!

Dave
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Here's a pic from a '72 911 sales catalog - unfortunately the brochure is larger than my scanner bed. Can scan more pics if anyone is interested. Rick
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Yeah, I caught Chronic Porsche Syndrome about a year and i'm crazy about these early 911's!! My mom can't stand cars. She hates em' , but that normal though. I beleive that these 911s are next in line to shoot up in value and price. I helped my dad restore his 67' alfa duetto when I was 5-14(ya, it took a long time). My car that I am got from my dad is a 67' Austin Healey MK111, 3000(BJ8). The car is in totally ORIGINAL condition. The is nothing aftermarket or changed on the car! It has 18,000 ORIGINAL MILES! The car is very dry except the floors that have some rust, so we bought new floors, which are very easy to install on those cars. It's a very new car, but extremely dirty and we are going to start to restore it this year. I will try to get some shots of the car sometime to show ya'll but will have to post it in "off topic". As for the two 911's, I dont have any pics of them . My dad doesn't take pics of his car either anymore, so sorry yall. Maybe my neighbor has some old pics of his 70'T but I'll ask.

I wished I lived in California so I could join ya'lls weekend gathering, events, meets, and so on. One day I will own an early 911 FOR SURE. No question about that.

Rick,

I have probabaly seen that brochure for millionth time now . I know ebay sell lots of them.