Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If U were in the market for a '68 911L softwindow

If U were in the market for a '68 911L softwindow

What would you pay based on this description:

Restored CA car, matching numbers, and over $20,000 in receipts. Professionally rebuilt engine and trans. Chain tensioner update. Bare metal repaint. Restored targa top and seals. Turn key and ready to roll?

If the car turns out to be an 8 pointer, with recent rebuild and repaint, with no rust - what would you pay?

I just want to see if the seller is being realistic and don't know the going rate for this semi-rare-ish model.

Thanks,
    Rick
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Hmmm

Assuming that the info you have recieved and provided here is correct. I would not offer more than $17K.

A big pile of documents and receipts about the car..add a couple thou.

no real history or a non original paint color car...deduct a couple thou.

A restored car (please see swbsam's thoughts on this...he put it way better than I have ever heard!) add a couple $5K chips.

If you put my hand to the flame, based one what you presented....$17K

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

I sold a light ivory '68 911L SWT in 1997 for $12,500. It matches pretty well, no rust ($3300 in professional replacement of both inner and outer longitudinals and lock posts, front pan replaced a few years earlier), bare metal repaint in original color, new seat upholstery (leather) and correct new carpet. Remainder of interior excellent original. Five correct 5.5 x 15 Fuchs refinished by R. Wood . Only difference from your example is that my engine and transaxle were sound, but far from fresh. Had about $18,000 in the car. It has changed hands at least once more since then for a little more I think. Sure wish I had it back. I think it would bring $16-18,000 now.

(edit: I see you are in E. Washington. My car went to The Dalles, Oregon from Portland. Same car with rebuilt engine?)
    Jim Chambers
    1966 912

I've been looking around for soft windows and I'd have agree with Shawn...17K-19K depending on how the whole mess stacks-up.
    Ed
    Ed Barnett
    RGruppe #124
    Northern California Racing Club
    American Racing Club
    Member, Northwest Hillclimb Association

Ed, Jim, and Shawn - thx for the replies. Based on the criteria you gave, this car sounds right in there. Now I need to go take a look and get a PPI.

Time to break the suspense (where is Regis Filbin when you need him?) - the asking price is $10,500. You can only wonder what the owner is thinking or if its a Pandora's box.

I need to change my location to 'Seattle area'. My reference to the 'Eastside' is to the east of Lake Washington. The true eastsiders are busting me.

Thanks again

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Seems too good,

There was one I was offered in seattle area 2 years ago in that range that was going to need a whole lot of restoring the previous attempts, a Soft window is rare and a favorite of mine, what color is the car

If this car is brought up to high Drivers standards I believe $20K is easily achievable, but It depends on the car of course.

RLK

Bend Or/ Zushi Japan
    67 911s SWT canary yelow among others

Three weeks ago I went hunting with a friend in mine ( 120 miles west of Dallas) and on the way back we past by a carport along the side of the country highway and spotted a red soft window targa sitting under it. Looked nice, so guess no barn find but I told my dad and if he has time we will go back and take a look at it and see if it's for sale.

Erick

what the seller is thinking

[QUOTE=RickS]

You can only wonder what the owner is thinking
    [QUOTE/]

I'm no expert but one thing I never wonder about is 'what the seller is thinking'.
    First of all it's none of my business and second when buying anything the only thing I think about is me and my wallet. I prefer transactions that are fair for everyone but one of my five rules to live by is "never give a sucker and even break" and lord knows I've been one too many times to count.
    Ed Barnett
    RGruppe #124
    Northern California Racing Club
    American Racing Club
    Member, Northwest Hillclimb Association

Is this the one w/ the discolored rear window?

I haven't seen it, but I think I received some info from the seller a while back.

Day late and a $ short?

Wasn't able to see it. It sold immediately. The owner (PCA member) was even surprised how fast it went. Draw your own conclusions. The car was located some where in the 425 area code.

Looks like we will never know unless it pops up again.

Thx for the responses.