Thread: Everybody happy with their 2.7S with Webers?

Everybody happy with their 2.7S with Webers?

looking for feedback from people running 2.7S engines in their early cars. my reference is for non hi-comp, race-prepped, or RS spec engines - just a 2.7S rebuilt to stock. i would end up using webers, SSIs, and dansk sport muffler. thanks.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Bob, I am pretty close to what you are looking for. I have a '77S case with PMO's, SSI's and an AJUSA 2 in, 1 out sprt muffler. I paid for RS p&c's and early S cams but I am unsure I have them (LONG story, details to follow when appropriate). In any case, I really like my motor. After installing the PMO's and having them dyno tuned, the car was transformed. Runs smooth as glass, gets 22 mpg on the highway and makes beautiful noises.
    Hal Michael
    2008 Audi RS4
    2006 Porsche Cayman S
    1970 911 Targa 2.7 (sold)

Bob, not an expert on this at all, but from what I understand the piston shape doesn't work well for anything other than CIS. Wayne's book has more info. I'm in the same boat as you know, will probably swap pistons for JE's when the time comes to update.
    David Schultz
    1973 911T 2.7
    R Gruppe #228
    Www.davidschultz-id.com
    www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/turbo_dave

Bob
    Based on my experience with my 2.4 with webers, the most important lessons are 1. The hump in the middle of the CIS piston really screws up the carbs - I believe it was meant to flatten out the intake pulse, which CIS needs and carbs hate, and 2. Having the distributor recurved by IEC in Detroit will take care of most of the issues caused by #1.

Jim

thanks for the feedback guys - whether i like it or not, a rebuilt-0-miles-2.7S is mine as of today. couldn't pass up this deal.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

Howdy Bob,
    I suspect I'm pretty close to what you describe. There's two things that will mess with you running that combo.

First, the intake manifolds for the Webers are a smaller diameter hole at the engine and secondly the hole at the engine is notched for the injectors. I got a set of PMO intakes with the spacers that adapt the two together and the thick spacers will cool things down nicely too.

Second, install a Crane HI-6 or an MSD ignition system with a killer coil in there to combust as much fuel as possible (stock wires and plugs with the gap increased).

I am running Bursch headers with a Bursch track exhaust as well. My heads were subjected to some mild porting. Hope this helps a bit.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

i've been thinking about headers as well and may end up going that route. i also have the advised jetting specs from PMO to run my existing 40IDAs. all in all i have to get a few things in order and hope to have it installed soon. this engine should serve my needs considering the money spent and the money i would have spent on a dream engine.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com