Thread: orange bar crest question...

orange bar crest question...

My '75 (H-series) 911S Targa's build date is 3/75. It currently has an orange bar crest...Now, do you think it is the original crest from our nice German friends at the factory OR do you think that someone at sometime replaced the "original" one with the orange bar one ???? The Targa is accident free & still wears it's original #908 Grandprixwiess so, there would seem to be no obvious reason for the crest to have been messed with...! The "911 restorers guide" sez the '75 should have a red bar crest, not an orange bar BUT these kinds of publications often have misinformation in them....Any "orange bar police" out there ???

Thanks...Greg
    Porsche owner since 1970

Porsche Crest

Darkbeer:

This is an interesting question what I found in the Performance Products Catalogue was this :

911/912> 1965-94 Red Badge P/N: 901.559.210.20

911/912> 1965-74 Orange Badge P/N: 913260 with the following note Early style hood crest for the concourse enthusiast)

However MY 1975 does not appears either red nor orange and I do not think the curvature of the hood is different between 1974-75 so this could be a matter of taste or concourse requirements? .

I hope this will help.
    Joe 912
    '68, 912
    Mexico
    Early 911S Registry # 1918

Greg,

From what I've been able to learn about production line equipment change chronology... I think you got the last month of 'early' hood crest application.

Hope this helps,
    Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks to both of you...I got a response on the Pelican Parts bbs too...an original owner '75 carrera has the "orange bar" crest from day one...so it seems that they used up the last of the orange bar & started using the newer red bar DURING the H-series run...some gotz it & some don't...I'm going to buy one of the new reissued factory Orange bar crests for my S & will be prepared to defend it's legitamacy with those that would say "nay".
    (I'm actually quite delighted...I like the orange bar's better then the newer translucent red bar ones...)

further proof of the frugle mentality of Hans & the gang in Stuttgart...my early '78 SC's fan shroud was a left over "911S" green shroud that they had PAINTED RED......gotta use 'um up.....