Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Motorsport Calendar Comments Needed

Vintage Motorsport Calendar Comments Needed

Hi All,

I have assembled a handful of my images from the last year and created a 2005 calendar, using my twist on automotive photography to illustrate the months of the year. Please take a second and check it out, and then comment if you like in a reply or PM. I am interested in knowing your thoughts on the subject matter and composition, price, and the publisher (CafePress.com).

If you're interested, I'll have a few for sale at the L.A. VW/Porsche Lit Meet in a few weeks, and of course you could order it directly from CafePress. Please realize, what I really want is constructive feedback from like-minded automotive fans about my idea!

THANKS,
    BA

Correct link:
    Click here to view the calendar at BAPhotowerks.com
    Brad Anderson
    911 1970 einspritzung Karmann coupe 0012

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I really like the idea of using car numbers, but would prefer to see more of the car the number is attached to. Unless one really knows the minutia of doors and fenders, one cannot tell what make, vinatage, model, etc - what a car calendar is about. Don't need to see the entire car, some angles which hint at those attibutes would be enough. Just my .02 - really like the concept and the quality of the images.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Nice graphics. I too would like to see a smallish image from the machine it came from. Perhaps a window at bottom right.

JMHO,
    Sherwood

Same here. I'm with you all too.

Erick

Nice. I'd leave it the way it is. It's a super trivia idea for car buffs of all types as it's way obvious there's more than one make there. It instantly made me think about what was under the number and I can already identify several and can come close on a guess as to the others.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Here's an idea for your calendar. Have a small form sheet go with it where customers can write down their vehicle identification of those numbers and their name/phone to win a prize of say next year's calendar. It's a good way to find out just how interested people are in it for future projects like that.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Great images - I especially like the ones showing a little period machinery/tech bits as supporting interest. Of course it would be nice to see the entire car, but not at the cost if detracting the main image compositions. Maybe as a small photo on the date page header? If that's not possible, leave as-is.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Very cool ... I like it just the way it is... GREAT job!
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

This is a good idea, reminds me of my photography class exercises back in art school. I agree that the images look good as is, I would not want to see them broken up with insets. Does Cafe Press give you any control over the back cover? If so, maybe that could be a spot to show the complete car or at least a list of what cars the numbers came from. Kind of like a crossword puzzle answer.
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Thanks for all the great feedback!

I hear you about wanting to know more about the subject car, these images probably create more questions than they answer... and who doesn't want to look at multiple views of our favorite cars! For the most part, this project is more about the numbers and the graphic image they create, than the car that wears it. A good example is the '6'; the bold yellow and the shapes created by the white highlights. Beautiful in my eyes.

I appreciate those that don't want the main image dissected to include more angles, etc. If I were to do it again, I would probably include a long shot profile, detail of the interior or engine, or 3/4 view in the blank cells of the calendar table. The CafePress template doesn't allow for that.

CafePress (which I'm generally impressed with) doesn't print on the back, unfortunately. I'd love to see the thumbnail images of each page that we are all used to.

I'll have them at the Lit Meet for $15 if you want to see the finished product. I'm helping out with my brother's table, and I think we are against a wall, so we can hang a few up. Swing by and check out his work, if nothing else. It is amazing! He'll be selling the Art Print posters of 356 and early 911 lineage that he illustrated for Excellence.

Click here to see 356 & 911 Art Prints

Thanks again,
    BA
    Brad Anderson
    911 1970 einspritzung Karmann coupe 0012

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles