Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint Job

Paint Job

I am in process of doing a bare metal repaint.
    My question is :
    should I repaint the door jams? That is also do a bare metal repaint there of should I keep them original?
    Any opinion is welcomed.

Hello Dwight,

Nice to here about the paint job. Your car needs it; it'll look great afterwards. I don't remember what the door jambs looked like. It comes down to this: Knowing what a good, fresh paint job will look like, will the door jambs look as good? The body guy would best be able to advise you on this. Who are you using?
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia

Only my misguided opinion, but I'd paint the jams as well. It's all about the details bud...and the more attention you pay to detail, the less you're gonna say to yourself: S*%t...I shoulda done that while I was painting!
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

When I was having Kermit restored, we discussed whether or not to do the trunk. I said "no, save the money" and then he did it anyway. Am I unhappy? NOPE, I would have been plenty unhappy if the entire car had its bare metal paint job, and the trunk looked like it was 30 years old and all banged up!!

BTW, here's a shot of the door jambs of my car. I think that if you're doing it, you should just DO IT!!!

larry
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Even though you may order the same color code number. Chances are it won't match with the door jamb even though it wasn't that exposed to sunlight. It's hard enough to get a match even when your using the same bases for your mix. In your situation you don't even have that luxury since the paint is years old and I doubt that Glasurit or whatever brand was used still uses the same base formulas.

Long story short. It would be alot easier to just paint the jambs than try to match them.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

thanks for all the advice...i will go ahead and paint the jams..and post pictures here when the job is done.

One suggestion...have replacement decals, tags, etc. available prior to removing the old ones...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Quote Originally Posted by larry47us
    When I was having Kermit restored, we discussed whether or not to do the trunk. I said "no, save the money" and then he did it anyway. Am I unhappy? NOPE, I would have been plenty unhappy if the entire car had its bare metal paint job, and the trunk looked like it was 30 years old and all banged up!!

BTW, here's a shot of the door jambs of my car. I think that if you're doing it, you should just DO IT!!!

larry
    Larry,

Love the color and the Door jambs are cool.

It's all in the details but did you know there is a rubber dust cover for the door switches? You should get them to keep the switches clean. They are not that expensive (about $2-3/ea) and the local Porsche Dealer parts counter should have them.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Quote Originally Posted by HarryD
    It's all in the details but did you know there is a rubber dust cover for the door switches? You should get them to keep the switches clean. They are not that expensive (about $2-3/ea) and the local Porsche Dealer parts counter should have them.
    Harry:
    Good idea!! There's an electrical project in there for me. The dome light works, but opening the door doesn't light the light. Got to do a bit of analysis here, is it the switch? Is it the wiring? Is it the dome light itself? Only time and an ohmmeter will tell!!! Isn't that why we buy these things, so that we always have something to do -- No, it's so that we have something to do instead of the HoneyDo list!!!

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Quote Originally Posted by larry47us
    Harry:
    Good idea!! There's an electrical project in there for me. The dome light works, but opening the door doesn't light the light. Got to do a bit of analysis here, is it the switch? Is it the wiring? Is it the dome light itself? Only time and an ohmmeter will tell!!! Isn't that why we buy these things, so that we always have something to do -- No, it's so that we have something to do instead of the HoneyDo list!!!

larry
    Probably the switch. They unscrew very easily and all you need to do is then ground the wire to see if the light works. Be sure the switch is in the correct position. The light does not have a separate switch, you rock the entire housing to one of three positions (off-always on-on when door is open, but I forget the order.

Good way to mess around for an hour or so and be buddies witht he guy at the parts counter. The parts (switch, plate, and rubber) should be in stock.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300