Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Early 911 Tools

Early 911 Tools

Greetings,

Does anyone know a source to find out what original 1967-1973 S tool kits contained and what they looked like? If you have photos, that would be appreciated also.

Thanks,

Fernando

No longer a Freshman, Now an OWNER

Also Looking for Tools

Looking for a complete tool set for a 73 S...any sources?
    1973 911 S Targa (Black/Black) SOLD
    1999 996 C2 (Silver/Black) SOLD
    2006 Range Rover Sport (Red/Tan)
    2004 Mercedes E320 4MATIC Wagon
    1971 Mercedes 280SL

Fernando, one basic source is Dr. B. Johnson's "The 911 & 912 Porsche", also recommended for ALL it's 911 detail content. Our resident tool kit expert is Eric "The Tool Man" Linden , aka Soteric. The man knows his stuff!

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Thanks Jens!

I did a search on this forum and came across a couple of threads, but the one with all of the good photos has been taken off or the link wasn't working.

I am interested in seeing a photo and obtaining a list of a 67s tool kit. Any help will be appreciated.

Fernando

From Doc Johnson;

'65-'68 911 Tool Kit-

Bag
    Spark Plug Wrench with pin
    19 mm Wheel Nut Wrench
    8 x 9 mm Open-end Wrench
    10 x 11 mm Open-end Wrench
    12 x 13 mm Open-end Wrench
    14 x 15 mm Open-end Wrench
    17 x 19 mm Open-end Wrench
    19 x 22 mm Box Wrench
    Screwdriver
    Phillips Screwdriver
    Pliers
    Fan Belt
    Tire Gauge
    Plastic Bag with 5 Fuses
    Fan Belt Wrench
    Bottle of Glycerine
    Allen Wrench for Oil Drain Plug
    Jack

Of course the devil is in the details, bag type and materials, color of screwdrivers, tool type and make and name....

RGruppe #183

a partial pic of a '72 toolkit:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I think one of the rare mistakes in Brett Johnson's book concerns the tool kit contents. There's no "pin" for the 911 spark plug wrench.

The 911 wrench is turned by the allen wrench.

The description of "spark plug wrench with pin" seems to refer to the 356/912 wrench. It's longer than the early 911 spark plug wrench, and you stick the pin through holes near the top. That puts the pin perpendicular to the axis of the spark plug.

I think the tool kit material changed fairly often. I think '65s had either smooth vinyl (I hope so--I bought one) or a sort of cloth grained black vinylish stuff. Somewhere along the line they got basketweave.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Fernando,

Here is the complete tool set form my 68, if you find one in this shape it will be expensive.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Henry

[QUOTE=NeunElf]I think one of the rare mistakes in Brett Johnson's book concerns the tool kit contents. There's no "pin" for the 911 spark plug wrench.

The 911 wrench is turned by the allen wrench....QUOTE]

Good call Jim.

RGruppe #183

MAPC, Amongst my various complete tool kits (1969 and 1970) I have an incomplete 1973 basket weave, string closure kit. It is missing screwdrivers, fan belt, pliers and jack but is in good condition, no rips or scratches...

I am open to offers from recent purchasers of Black 1973 911S Targas that may happen to have a lot of money left over because they got such a good deal.

But it is going to be really stupidly expensive. See recent posts regarding sport seats, orange bar hood crests, 911 RS prices etc.

PS Glad to hear you found a nice car!
    PPS too bad it didn't come with a tool kit
    Early S Reg #675