Thread: early 911 paint question

early 911 paint question

On my 72 911 the front wheel wells do not seem to color match the original body paint - looking more like the undercoating color (or non color). I have seen a few cars with the front wheels removed (in for sale ads showing how clean they were I suppose) that carried the same paint as the body and I was wondering what the norm would have been from the factory. Maybe I just need to clean better.

rick

The consensus from earlier threads is that the underbody and wheel well PVC undercoating (black) started in 1970 and body color painted areas started with 1973 models. 'Course, even if a given car's wells were black to begin with, its a easy area to get hit with overspray from a repaint somewhere along the line.
    John Gray

70 old air
    86 middle air
    95 new air

Thanks, John.............makes sense to me.

If you want to do a number on your wheel wells, or tires or engine compartment or anything else, this is the best stuff I've ever used -

available here:

http://superiorcarcare.net/amazingrolloff.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John Gray

70 old air
    86 middle air
    95 new air

Underbody Finish for 1968 Cars

Green T : Do you have any idea what the Porsche factory used in earlier cars in regards wheel wells and underbody ?

Did they use body color paint or black undercoating ?

Thanks.
    Joe 912
    '68, 912
    Mexico
    Early 911S Registry # 1918

All I can tell you for sure is the PVC undercoating started with the 1970 models when they went to galvanized metal for the undercarriage. I'm sure one of the guys with an earlier car will chime in and let you know what was used before that.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John Gray

70 old air
    86 middle air
    95 new air