Thread: Gary Emory retiring Parts Obsolete liquidating

Gary Emory retiring Parts Obsolete liquidating

Hi all,
    I just received this announcement from Rod Emory, Gary's son. Congratulations to Gary and I look forward to catching a wave or two with him! Some how though, the Porsche world just won't be the same with out that barn full of all those cool parts!

Hello 356 world,

I would like to announce that after faithfully serving the 356 and 911 community for nearly 45 years Gary Emory is retiring from the parts business. For the next 6 months Gary will be liquidating his inventory, and he is not going to replenish his stash. Parts Obsolete will be remembered in the history books and never forgotten. All of you that have been here know what kind of treasures are in that barn, as well as the largest stash of 356, 911,and 914 parts around. Everything is going to go.

Gary will occupy his time surfing, camping in his Westfailia, Hosting his Yearly Campout, Racing, and offering advice and suggestions to the Porsche community.

Give Gary a call before that part you have been looking for is gone. 503-835-2300

Rod Emory

60 356 Roadster Race Car - ex Dick Barbour
    60 356 Roadster Race Car - Emory Outlaw
    63 Porsche Powered Special Race Car
    67 911S Stock
    67 911S Race Car - ARRC '69 & '71, Daytona 24 '75
    Esses Motorsports

This will be a loss to the P-car world, but I can understand Gary's motivation here...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Explain further....what do you think his motivation is??

More than Original
    There is a slow down in the market, that may be a factor. Read here about Pelican http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=203567.

Wishing Gary the best, I only met him once and he is a class act. Will he still be building cars?
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

BD,

Is that the correct URL? Even though a registered member on PPBBS I receive:

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    You did not confirm your email address. When you registered an email was dispatched to your inbox to automatically confirm that your email address actually existed.....
    You do not have permission to access the page ......
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Rick,

Wayne pulled the thread so he could read it all and respond to at a later time. Here is his explanation.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=203644
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Quote Originally Posted by RPMClassic
    Explain further....what do you think his motivation is??
    We all get older, get "burnt out". P-cars are a wonderful hobby to us. To Gary, his job...and it was a job that went for what must have been endless months without a "vacation". I used to own a small biz. No matter how enjoyable, any business can feel like a prison, given enough time. Especially a biz that entails "working" every summer weekend at one vintage race or another...then there is PCA parade week, then there is...well, I think you're catching on now. I'll miss him, but I don't blame Gary one bit for wanting to grab a six pack, a surfboard, and just watch the waves and the beach bunnies. He's worked long and hard for it, and he deserves it!
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I know the drill. After being in the sales and service business for over 30 years, I feel his pain. With the internet, compitition is strong. Customers will shop you untill YOU drop. Expect you to search for a hour for a correct bolt, and then cry because you want $5.00 for it. It is close to impossible to make money in the parts only business. I am sure Rod will do fine with the restoration/race support part of the business.