Thread: Need Ignition Advice

Need Ignition Advice

Greetings all,
    Part of my snowbound work on my lil black beasty will be ignition...namely greatly improving the spark characteristics. If anyone has been there, done that please post a couple closeups of your work along with any advice. I'm leaning heavily towards a Crane HI-6 deal with a coil (you can adjust the rev limit right on this one instead of adding lil chips or whatever they are) but would like to hear all aspects of it, MSD or whatever else is being used. I'm looking for some help designing the layout, or placement if you will, for the CD box and wiring. It would be nice to gather all the parts at once for this project so I'm looking from one end of the ignition to the other. Your advice is muchly appreciated.

-engine is 2.7L with webber 40's and stock air filtration over it
    -currently with all stock CD, coil, wires, ends and plugs (all plugs are on the blackish side rather than what I feel should be an almost rusty tan color but I could be off slightly there...I'm not a pro wrench)
    -also using Bursch headers with Bursch track muffler
    problem: -popping pretty good when I let off the throttle
    -it feels like it's being starved off at high throttle

Thanks in advance for any help here.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Hi Paul:

This is a complex subject and there are several and layered answers to your questions,....

I will tell you that if you did not perform a proper plug cut, any decisions based on what you saw on the plugs is completely invalid. I'd be happy to e-mail you the procedures for doing this very important mixture check.

If I might suggest,.....why don't you call me sometime and I'd be happy to help. You really cannot make ignition upgrades until you know that the carbs are setup and adjusted perfectly.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Hi Steve,
    Please do email me your suggestion: pschooley@sympatico.ca
    I'll give you a call when I return from this business trip. Thanks.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Hi Paul,
    I used the total Crane H-6 system on my 69 and after some installation issues it work perfectly for 4 years and as far as I know it is still working perfectly.

Be advised, when mine was put on there were no instructions regarding tach hook-up and the reason why is because Crane figured they'd scare away customers if they included a statement like 'oh, and BTW you'll need to remove your tach and send it to XYZ shop for circuit board replacement'...I used Hollywood Speedometer...they knew exactly what to do.

FWIW...make changes one at a time and make each change work correctly before you start on the next modification. Steve is right, follow his expert advice.
    Ed
    Ed Barnett
    RGruppe #124
    Northern California Racing Club
    American Racing Club
    Member, Northwest Hillclimb Association