Thread: A '73 Rs...

A '73 Rs...

All,
    Has anyone been to John Starkey's website (www.johnstarkeycars.com) lately??

There is a pretty nice '73 RS there, being offered...for the paltry sum of $240K

Now don't get me wrong...it looks like a top-drawer car, but $240K??

Am I missing something here?

Cheers,
    Thom

Thom

You must be missing the same thing as I am missing when I see the other car on the site a RHD 1967 S for $125,000

Again it looks like a great car............. but US$125,000 for a 67S, even if it has some rare options and looks like it is good (almost) original condition; what is the world coming to
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Hey Hugh.
    You saw my car the other week. I am sure this price is just indicative of where the market is going (for 1967 S's, that is).
    I wish

And, on the topic of the '67 911S - are the seats original? I thought they didn't have headrests for sports seats in '67. Also, really on 35 built??? I doubt mine is only one of 35. Didn't they make a ton more than that? Also, isn't the Porsche and 911S script meant to be in gold, not black?
    Justin
    67 911S
    Australian TYP901 Register member No.47

Justin
    I am not sure you would want to upgrade you insurance to over replacement at US$125,000
    I dont know on the numbers built in RHD; maybe someone else on the list does. There were not many markets for RHD at the time - UK, Aust and HK maybe South Africa.
    According to the books there were 3422 S's built in 67 (and 718 targas but they would have been all LHD as they did not make RHD targas until 1973)

There were supposedly only about 6 or so delivered to Australia although I have never seen that number confirmed. It is possible that one or 2 went to HK or somewhere else RHD. That would suggest that less than 30 went to the UK ( less this one of course) - ie less than 1% of production.
    That number seems low to me but may be correct. A point of comparison is the RS production where the split is known. 117 or 7.4% were made in RHD.

I agree on the black lettering - should be gold. there were a few other things I noticed as well on a quick scan of the photos - the steering wheel, the painted engine fan .... and I am sure the eagle eyes on the board will see other things. The seats di not quite look right but I might be wrong and the photos were not the best thing to judge by. The seat police on the list can adjudicate on that one
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Interesting Thought...

When I was considering obtaining a 911RS a very knowledgeable person showed me this poster of "significant" Porsches and asked me to guess what the prices were to buy each.

Jol
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A couple questions come to mind with that RS. First, is that the original steering wheel? Second, are those the original seatbelts? It's a very nice looking example of the mark to be sure. I reckon that price seems steep but it's a reflection of the market...take what the market will pay and don't look back.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330