Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Through the hood gas filler project

Through the hood gas filler project

I posted this at Pelican and thought you guys might be interested. Hope you dont mind the cut and paste

I should probably whip up a batch of these and eBay them for a huge profit, but I figured Id share this thought with you guys since we are all in the same game

Everyone who has ever looked into this mod knows that 100mm Blau caps are impossible to find and expensive. Anyone who has ever succeeded in finding a cap knows that the caps are the easy part. The only available filler necks that fit the cap are old 356 and pre '55 VW bus tanks. The caps are obviously paperweights without the filler neck.

I think I have found an easier way to do a correct looking through the hood center gas filler.

Breakthrough #1:

Check this out:

Looks like the real deal, right? Well, it’s close. It is indeed a 100mm Blau gas cap for a pre '55 VW bus, but it’s made out of steel instead of aluminum. Want one? You will have to pony up $14 + shipping to get one from Bughaus.

Okay, so you have a correct looking cap. Cool, but still a paperweight without the filler neck. A cool paperweight, but lets try to actually do something with it.

Possible breakthrough #2:

Take a look at these:

This is a readily available modern cap and filler neck. You can get one of each for about $20 shipped from these guys.

5 minutes and a 3.5" holesaw taken to the Blau cap and we have this:

My current thought is to set the modern cap (3.5" OD) into the knock out and weld it in place. I should be able to attach the filler neck above to a piece of seamless tubing and then have the neck welded to the tank. The catch basin under the hood should be easy.

Total costs so far:

100mm steel Blau cap - $14 + shipping
    3" modern cap & neck - $20 + shipping
    3.5" holesaw - ~$10 kit from Harbor Freight
    3" seamless tubing - ???
    catchbasin - ???

What do you guys think? Will it work?

I’m waiting on the cap and neck, but expect an update from me next Friday or Saturday.
    #711 - expires 12/05
    1972 911T - Sepia 3.2 - For Sale

Shuie,

great research !

but no photos showed up in yr post, can you post just the pics again?

And which size filler neck do you suggest fits the bughaus cap ? the 3" OD one ?

Or are you suggesting you need to modify teh VW gas cap with parts form the PACR cap ?
    Phil Lack
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    Past President: Australian TYP901 Register Inc. # 0002

2.0 '66 911R : sold
    2.0 '68 911S : sold
    2.4 '72 911E coupe original Aubergine
    2.4 '72 911E :sold
    2.4 '72 911T : sold
    3.6 '94 993 :sold
    3.6 '97 993 C2S :sold
    '01 Ferrari 360 sold
    '15 CLA250 Benz
    '12 BMW 1M coupe (OMG!)

There should be five photos:
    -(2) of the steel VW cap
    -(2) of the drawing of the 3" PACR cap and filler
    -(1) of the steel VW cap with a hole in the bottom

They are posted to Pelican's server, not taken from someone else’s site. Please let me know if they are still not showing up.

Yes, I was going to try to set the 3.5" PACR cap into the knockout of the cheap steel VW Blau cap. Then I would be able to use the easily available 3" PACR filler neck. As long as it looks right and is functional, I’m okay with it. I would prefer the correct filler neck and an unmodified cap, but the only source for a filler neck I have found was a $200+ rusty 356 tank.

GeorgeK responded to the thread over at Pelican saying the correct filler necks are readily available from shops over there. I’m going to see if I can get in touch with one of those shops to source a few of the correct filler necks. That would definitely be the best way to approach this.

I have no desire to sell them, just want a few for my own cars (spares, future projects, etc). So if anyone has a source for a few of the necks that they are willing to share, please let me know.
    #711 - expires 12/05

I see the photos just fine...somebody's antivirus/spyware is set too strong.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

George, Thanks so much for offering to to help!

I'll take six at any price. 2 for my cars, 2 spares, and 2 for future projects. None will ever see eBay. Id be happy to pay a finders fee.

I'll mic the cap and post measurements here so we can figure out what size we need.

Thanks again!
    #711 - expires 12/05

I'm in for one, 100mm fill tube, George. Email to follow.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

George,

I'd be interested in one as well.

Brooke

PS. The lights have not arrived yet. Hopefully thy will show up this week.
    Brooke
    1969 911 ST w/ 2.8SS
    1973 911 RS tribute with 3.3 turbo
    1970 914-6 w/ 2.2S (sold)
    1972 BMW M2 (sold)
    R Gruppe #338
    S Reg # 855

email sent

Also just took a few quick measurements.

The ID of the cap is ~4.125" or ~105mm
    The rasied inner portion of the cap is ~80mm

Does that help indicate which filller we need?
    #711 - expires 12/05

Quote Originally Posted by Shuie
    There should be five photos:
    -(2) of the steel VW cap
    -(2) of the drawing of the 3" PACR cap and filler
    -(1) of the steel VW cap with a hole in the bottom.
    Shuie,

Isee the pics now. I went across to Pelican after I saw yr post and their server was down. Since it was probably about 4 am local time, not many were viewing in the USA. I'm in Australia so thats where the problem lay.

Pics in yr initial post are all visible so sorry to concern you about yr posting abilities.

Looks like yr supply problems may be solved though !

Long live the Board.
    Phil Lack
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    Past President: Australian TYP901 Register Inc. # 0002

2.0 '66 911R : sold
    2.0 '68 911S : sold
    2.4 '72 911E coupe original Aubergine
    2.4 '72 911E :sold
    2.4 '72 911T : sold
    3.6 '94 993 :sold
    3.6 '97 993 C2S :sold
    '01 Ferrari 360 sold
    '15 CLA250 Benz
    '12 BMW 1M coupe (OMG!)

George, I'm definitely in for at least one, perhaps more depending on the price. I will send an email as well. Thanks so much for doing this and ditto on the finder's fee if you would like one.
    1985 911 Carrera 75,000 miles - Black w/ tan leather.
    Stainless Steel Cat Bypass, Steve Wong Chip, and a few other minor upgrades.