Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? 2 all those with Vintage Seats

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar

? 2 all those with Vintage Seats

Did we make a mistake ?
    I just found out there is no way to set them up properly with belts. For the track at least.
    Anyone come up with a solution ?

Thanks;
    John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

It is not the seats but the location of where the harness mounts in the car are located. Use a fifth point on the track and it will keep the lap belt from riding up. And/or use the later Recaro mounting frames which can have seatbelt mounting points attached. They are availible through Recaro. The only thing is I like mountings to the body for the track so you can actually set it up two ways. Hope this helps.

Best,

Don

Thanks Don, that does help. I'll check out that Recaro base.
    Since there is no slot for the crotch belt(s) or for the lap belts for that matter and because of the tall sides does that solve the problem or will I just be floating behind the belts. I'm not very big around the middle but I would be willing to increase my intake of beer if that would help.

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Don, when you say later Recaro frames, how much later? Will this work on a '73 sport seat?
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

I ran an original 67 plastic Recaro and an R Scheel seat. I was not floating but you will have to do some testing. The Recaro bases I am talking about are the current non tilting frames. For the track I use a Recaro Pole Position seat as I feel it is the safest way to go. They will work with earlier seats but I do not think the 73 seat as the sliders are part of the frame if I remember right.

Don

John,
    If I recall, you prevously were using the later style mid 70's seats in your 67 911 right? The seat frames on the mid 70's seats, as well as the 1969-73 models, came with the seat belt brackets mounted to the seat frames. I am wondering if you would be better off simply reverting back to the original SWB seatbelt mounting eyebolts which screw in to the rear seat leg area. I have the original 3 point belts in which the shoulder belt mounts to the rear quarter panel bolt. I am assuming that this will work for the Vintage R seats that I will be getting shortly.
    Maybe Sithot can chime in on his set-up since he has Vintage seats in his 67 (Shorty) now.

Gruen;

I was going to send you an e-mail but thought this was a good one for the public domain.
    My seats were later types but they have the original belts so the prob (I was told ) is not mounting them but the security of the 3 point belts and the lack of slots to run 5 or 6 pt belts.
    I will be doing DE's and autox's with the PCA and they seem to be very concerned with safety . Bless them.
    I'm more worried about street conditions than G-forces at this stage but don't want to redo the belt setup later if I can help it.

You're going to rally your car ? I'd be interested to see how those seats work for you with 3 pts.

What was the factory set up ? (3 pts wasn't it?)
    Hard to believe those guys driving the way they did and trying to hold themselves in the seat. Some of the pics I've seen even have the nav. in a comfort seat ! They must have been SMOOOOOOOOOOOTh !

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

John,
    I am also considering going with a 4 or possibly 5 point harness set-up in the event that I do some rallying this summer. I was actually looking at the belts offered over at GTS. Here is a link to their seatbelt page. I have no idea if it will be possible to mount a 5 point harness with crotch belt - without having to slice a slot thru the front seat bottom. Maybe the best option is a 4 point belt set-up in which two waist belts mount to the floor on the sides of the seats, and the shoulder belts mount from the back seat area thru the gap between the headrest and seat back. Anyone?
    Here is the link to the GTS seatbelt page
    http://www.gts-classics.com/5-point.html

Gruen;

The 4 pt. plan is not good I was told , even worse than 3pts.
    It's the hight of the sides of the seats that cause the prob.

You putting a bar in ? ( I don't mean in your house ) Full ?

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

The problem is the mounts in the car for the lap belt are too high. When you tighten the shoulder belts the lap belt will ride up.

Best,

Don